1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Black-Capped Chickadee has been an elusive bird for me to get sharp photos of.....but finally !!

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jan 26, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Seems like they never hold still more than a split second at a time, but this one cooperated a little today.
    Canon FDn 300/4.0-L and NEX-7

• Like Like x 7
  2. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    My favorite little guys. They don't take any crap from anyone and aren't scared of anything it seems. They land on my head when I come out to put more sunflower seed out too. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Wow Suzanne. You must be a bird whisperer. My experience has been completely opposite.
    I bet that's why Roundball had trouble. These guys just would not stand still. They would dart to the feeder, then dart away. The second they saw a human or another bird they where gone. It took me forever to get one in focus even at the feeder. Lol. That said a lot about my technique too. Here's mine. Hope you don't mind roundball

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Those are really nice. I wonder where you are and if they are Black-capped or Carolina. Asking because the white in the wings seem subtle.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Cute little guys

7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    There are a lot of similarities and more importantly, variations among each of the two that makes it difficult.

Then add in the overlapping middle states sections of both of their primary ranges where hybrids occur creating even other variations in characteristics.

Plus add in this time of year which puts winter migrations of Black Capped down into the mid-atlantic and southern states, and precise ID of the Chickadee becomes very challenging.

Considering all the above which easily puts Black Capped into North Carolina this time of year.....plus seeing the most distinctively different characteristic of the 'bib' not having a simple clean boundary line between its bottom edge and the top of the belly (see photo 4).....like the Carolina is said to have.....I used that as a tie-breaker and went with Black Capped.

8. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Well they are quick! And they certainly don't "hang out" on my head ;) But I can feel them land on my head, then the feeder, then the fence, and back again. I can feel their little excitement over me filling up the mighty food tube! :) And it has definitely taken a few years for them to get used to me.

• Like Like x 1