Black and white in the EVF - creative style - awesome!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by jai, Aug 16, 2013.

1. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I was watching a youtube review of the Leica monochrome, and thought to myself, wouldnt it be great if i could:

• Shoot B&W in camera
    • See B&W in the EVF
    • Still capture a colour RAW file for the best tweaking options later

And it turns out i can?!

I had no idea "creative style" would work in P/A/S/M modes. I assumed that kinda thing was just for automode instagram style nonsense.

But yes, hidden away in the Brightness/Colour menu there is this option. And it works with Jpeg/RAW. Anybody else shoot like this?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I do, but not for any particular love of B&W. I do it when I'm shooting flowers so I can see the focus peaking better, and then mostly just RAW. I almost never shoot jpegs.

3. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I learned something from this forum (again) today. Thanks to both of you!

4. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, i have noticed it is easier to use peaking on black and white. Bonus.

Looking through a B&W viewfinder allows you to see more opportunities for dramatic B&W shots. Almost feels like cheating.

5. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Ooooooo. If it helps with focusing peaking I will definitely try this out tomorrow, going to a wedding so great time to whip out the nex. Thanks for the tip!

6. tombran

tombran TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Ditto, another great bit of info

Tom Brandau, Sound & Picture, Los Angeles

7. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    If I understand it right this to work.
    one has to capture jpeg and raw (jpeg would be b/w and the raw would of course include color information)

The menu is Brightness and Contrast--Creative Style--Black and White... Is that right?

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It works in RAW only, RAW+jpeg and jpeg only. When you open a RAW file shot this way it reverts to color when you open it in a RAW converter.

Yes, that's where it is in the menu.

9. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    That's right. You get a black and white jpeg and a raw file which by definition is colour.

Often when you get back to the computer, you will want to do a colour filter of some kind to bring out the contrast, and the RAW lets you do that. But the B&W viewfinder and jpeg helps composition.

Forgive me for going on about it, but this is something you can't do with any dSLR or rangefinder

10. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi great tip
    I tried it today with my nex-f3 but with my manual Minolta MD 50 mm no major improvement in the peaking (actually I think that lens does not pick very well compared to others)....

11. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Just used this yesterday and can confirm it works, and helps! Mainly because the peaking color now stands out more.

12. jereswinnen

jereswinnen TalkEmount Regular

Jul 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Jeremy Swinnen
    I was wondering this myself the other day. Tried it out and works great! Awesome tip!

13. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Very usefull information! I´m going to try it! Thanks a lot!! You are inventive here! :agree: :drinks: :whoo:

14. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I tried this last night on a long photo venture (260 pics). It worked great. Thanks for the tip.

Tony

15. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    My favourite shot so far using this:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaiphone/9605092636/" title="DSC05599 by Jai Sbr, on Flickr">"1024" height="680" alt="DSC05599"></a>

16. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Wow, I have new "Leica Monochrome"-like camera :D
    Very nice feature! ;)

Only problem is that when I import RAW images into Lightroom through some colour preset (with sharpness and others settings...) Lightroom naturally convert BW into colours...

How to set Lightroom in way, that Lightroom preserve BW and add only sharpening or so? Any idea?

17. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Well, a RAW file has to have colour information, by definition? I don't use lightroom (why did i buy aperture, why?) but i think your best bet is to create a preset?

That said, the whole point of capturing the RAW is so you can apply colour filters later. Tweak the levels of each colour till you can bring out the best contrast for that shot.

Most of the time i am slack and just import the jpeg only. Thats the easy way out.

18. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    You could shoot in Raw + Jpeg and that way you will have the colour Raw file and the B&W Jpeg.

19. The Sparrow

The Sparrow TalkEmount Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    I do this. I have the camera set to save both raw and jpg. I don't see things in black and white very well so having the image presented to me in this way during shooting helps me recognize what will work better as a B&W shot.
    I love this feature on the camera and have been shooting nothing but black and white lately :).

BTW, When you first open the raw image on your computer, it may be black and white. this is because thesoftware defaults to the creative style you shot with. "camera settings", but you can change that back to "standard" and you will have a colour raw file suitable for export to your favorite BW conversion software.

20. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    My experience with shooting B&W creative style and RAW+Jpeg is that when I first open the RAW file in Lightroom, it shows a B&W image, but after a moment the preview changes to color. This is because the RAW file has a copy of the Jpeg file (which is B&W if you are using the B&W creative style) embedded in it. To quickly display the image, Lightroom shows the embedded Jpeg at first, while it is processing the actual RAW image.

The RAW image is always a color image - unless you have a specialized camera or a mass-market camera that has been physically modified to shoot only B&W. When Lightroom finishes processing the RAW file, it switches the display from the embedded B&W Jpeg to the actual color RAW image.

- Tom -