1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bitten by LBA . . . again

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TonyTurley, Jul 11, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I really need to stay away from eBay. I was browsing along, and came upon a Vivitar 35mm f/2.8 Auto Wide Angle, Komine-made. This got my attention because all of the other Vivitar 35mm f/2.8s I have seen were made by Tokina. I kept looking, and found that this was the only Komine-made 35mm f/2.8 listed at the time. I also discovered there was very little information available on this particular lens, so either it wasn't very good, or there weren't many made, or ??? There is lots of info on the 'Net about the Vivitar 35mm f/1.9, but those go for $250-300. I saw a few Olympus Pen F 38mm for around $150, but I didn't want to pay even that much. At $33 shipped, I decided to go back and get the 35mm f/2.8. I have had great success with all of my Komine-made Vivitars, so it will be interesting to see. I already have a 35-70mm zoom, but I've had a hankering for a 35mm legacy prime.

You guys are a bad influence. ;)

Tony

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I think you are becoming the bad influence Tony.

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    :laugh1:

4. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Back in the heyday of manual focus lenses, Vivitar lenses were made by a half dozen different companies and you could tell by the first two digits of the serial number which company had manufactured a given lens. In those days, the general opinion seemed to be that the best lenses were the 22xxxxxxxx series made by Kiron, followed by the Komine lenses - for which I do not remember the serial number without looking it up.

- Tom -

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Tom, the Komine versions began with 28xx.

Tony

6. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Use CL more, it makes LBA costs bearable. eBay is out of control.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    We try. :dance3:

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I've never used CL. I only buy lenses on eBay if they are at a price I find palatable, usually under $30. I agree with the remark about it being out of control. I often see lens descriptions with words like vintage, mint, rare, fast, etc. Case in point is the Vivitar 35mm f/1.9. Pentax forum reviews claim an average price of $10, for the M42, at that; cheapest I've ever seen on eBay was $200, and it's usually more like $250-300. Granted, the Pentax reviews were all at least 2 years old, but that is still a steep markup.

Tony

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You know, Tony, when your signature starts getting to be longer than your posts, it's a sure sign that you need to seek help. ;)

10. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I love CL. While there are some really crazy prices out there, sometimes there are also real bargains. You just have to be patient. I paid $20 for three great lenses and a very good teleconverter (the Kirons and Minolta 50/1.7 in my sig). The Minolta alone would sell for $30 on eBay. The Kiron 28/2 is listed at almost $200 and probably is worth about $90, but more importantly, it's a great lens that has quickly become my favorite. The Minolta 35-70 and 70-210 were $90 together, while it's not a "steal" it's much better than what they sell for on eBay. Besides, I got a chance to inspect every lens before buying.

The only lens I bought on eBay came with past owners' name scratched on the barrel (which the seller failed to disclose) and was 5x more expensive than the same lens I later got locally as part of CL deal.

11. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    LOL! I blame Henry Gordon Dietz. Not long after I bought my 5R, I read his article Old Film Camera Lenses On New Digital Cameras. Since I had an old Praktica with a Jenna DDR 50/2.8, I bought an adapter from Amazon and tried a few pics. It took me back to my old film days, and the die was cast, so to speak.

All kidding aside, I have spent considerably less on all my legacy lenses together than I would have spent on a single Touit or other CZ prime, or even some of the high end legacy lenses out there, and I've had a lot of fun doing so. I do, however, plan to try to sell a few lenses that I don't use much . . . so I can buy more lenses. :)

Tony