• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Bit the bullet: A7Rm4!

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
Congrats on the new purchase, how are the legacy film lenses holding up against 61mp.

Real-time tracking is so good on the a9 that I never use the joystick, it's like focus-recompose on steroids, I'd like to try it on the a7riv.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Congrats on the new purchase, how are the legacy film lenses holding up against 61mp.
I only tested a few of them superficially so far. The Minolta MD W.Rokkor 4/17 disappointed: on the R2 it wasn't really sharp, on the R4 it's really not sharp. The Minolta 2/50, one of the best Minolta 50's for landscape shots, held up pretty well at f/8 but wasn't razor sharp. The Carl Zeiss Distagon C/Y 2.8/28 is still really good on the R4. The Pentax K 3.5/28 (non-M version) is reasonably good but starts to show just a little bit too much field curvature at f/8-11 so there's no reason for me to keep it alongside the Contax 2.8/28. I'd have to do more testing to get to proper assessments but I'm not sure I'll do that; I already have a pretty good idea which lenses will be sold off, even before I got the R4. Some lenses will be tested for sure: Minolta MD Macro 4/100 and 3.5/50, MD's 2/28, 2.8/135, 4/200.

Most of my native lenses hold up pretty well. The Zeiss Loxias 21, 35, 50 and 85 perform very well, as expected. Especially the Loxia 2.4/85 is a winner. Also the native Voigtländer 1.2/40 is surprisingly good, even wide open. The Sony FE 4/24-70 is not regarded highly but it still performs acceptably, if not stellar.

My general impression is that if a lens is sharp on the R2, it's also sharp on the R4.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Ad, congratulations. You and I are both dealing with getting used to a new camera body. (for me, the A7m3, 24MP) You seem to be much better organized than I, though. I have set up My Menu with things I want and pretty much now just stick to that and fn to get what I need. I haven't really done much with changing the various C buttons.

Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Top Bottom