Bird shooter Downunder

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Hi all,
After 10 months and 40,000 shots I'm stepping out of the Nikon camp. Don't see a future in their mirrorless and am getting sick of the manufacturer's arrogance and complacency.
Time to give Sony a run. I already shoot Panasonic mirrorless and 20 fps unbroken is a boon for bird shooting.
Now we just need a 500mm native lens!
Cheers,
Ziggy

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Welcome. Which camera did you get?

1- If you did not know there is an adapter that allows you to use all your Nikon lenses.

2- There are several E-Mount lenses that reach to 400mm, several owners have had great success shooting BIF with them.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Thanks Dave, appreciate the heads-up.
Yeah, I've been researching adapters. That's a bit of a can of worms :confused: Really only want to try the Nikkor 20mm AF-D and that'll have to be MF it seems which is OK for landscapes.
I got the A9 and Sony 100-400mm & 1.4x TC.
The optical quality seems to be pretty good from what's been posted.
Looking forward to clear sight . My D500 has been measured to have 60% blackout during bursts, so close shots of fast birds are easily missed.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Thanks Dave, appreciate the heads-up.
Yeah, I've been researching adapters. That's a bit of a can of worms :confused: Really only want to try the Nikkor 20mm AF-D and that'll have to be MF it seems which is OK for landscapes.
I got the A9 and Sony 100-400mm & 1.4x TC.
The optical quality seems to be pretty good from what's been posted.
Looking forward to clear sight . My D500 has been measured to have 60% blackout during bursts, so close shots of fast birds are easily missed.

Ya, the adapters are a great option but are not perfect.

The 100-400mm is a wonderful lens and paired with the A9 should do you well.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Welcome aboard! Looking forward to your bird captures!
Here you go, the best out of 40,000 from that other brand ;)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brown Falcon, WTP near Geelong, Australia

DaveC

TalkEmount Veteran
Now we just need a 500mm native lens!
According to Sony Alpha Rumors there are 500 and 600mm GM lenses on the road map. Could be a while yet though, and even if they do eventuate I suspect they'll be pricey.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Thanks.
Yes, the 400mm prime is beyond me.
One of the good things about the Nikon ecosystem is that there are enough users out there for Tamron and Sigma to produce competing superzooms, and that in turn keeps Nikon's prices down on some lines.

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
Here you go, the best out of 40,000 from that other brand ;)

View attachment 98904
Brown Falcon, WTP near Geelong, Australia
great shot.

So far I've been keeping tele the domain of m43 and using my A7 for portrait (short tele) through to wides. You mentioned being a m43 user and so I wondered how you sat with the strategy I just mentioned above. The Panasonic crop sensor works nicely with bird shots although noise is an issue in shadows (as visible below).

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Thanks pellicle.
That's a very nice capture indeed. A Drongo?
Yes, I remember you from the M43 forum. I'm the guy who's been running the thread there on the G9 with birds.
Your strategy makes a lot of sense. The effective reach we get with the 2x crop factor helps manage the costs! But yes I've found too that there's a quick limit to what you can do to boost shadows without noise and/or a colour cast, at least at the ISO I normally shoot at (1600).
As I reported in that thread, I wanted better AF performance than I could get so wandered off into Nikon D500 land for a while. Its performance is clearly better with single-point AF and with locking on BIF if in mid-ground with a busy background.
So I'm very much looking forward to the Sony kit. There'll be quite a bit less reach available but more pixels to crop with. In time I might see how well an adapted Nikkor 500mm f5.6 PF goes (and the way I was treated while waiting for one of those, plus the poor showing of their Z6 and Z7, started me on the road out of that world).

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
Hi

That's a very nice capture indeed. A Drongo?
Yep ... people occasionally call me that ;-)

I'm the guy who's been running the thread there on the G9 with birds.
ahh ...

Your strategy makes a lot of sense. The effective reach we get with the 2x crop factor helps manage the costs!
Interestingly I met Steve Parish up at Binna Burra one year about 1980 (maybe 79) and he was a man of humble means who's camera gear was worth probably more than the van he lived out of. I understand he's gone up and down the scales of success and bankruptcy more than once (dunno where he is now). I mention this because it seems only to be the enthusiasts (once called Amateurs because the Latin root is Amator and means "one who loves") who can afford to have $6,000 in gear hanging around that doesn't turn a buck.

I've been managing on my stuff for a while now with only the as a significant A7 purchase for a while (even that was $500).

But yes I've found too that there's a quick limit to what you can do to boost shadows without noise and/or a colour cast, at least at the ISO I normally shoot at (1600).
with my Gen1 m43 gear I don't even like treading above 400 if I know any tonemapping of shadows will be employed, cos the floor noise in m43 is the result of a well tuned output. However its tuned to give its best results in JPG (in my view) and while you can manipulate a few more things in RAW just doesn't have the foot and head room that sensors like the A7 have.

So I'm very much looking forward to the Sony kit.
and I'm looking forward to what you produce.

There'll be quite a bit less reach available but more pixels to crop with.
my observation is that while one can crop a little with less destruction of image quality (as one is starting at 6Mp, so a drop to 4Mp is still good) that a crop from my Sony (with my FD300) has less capacity to improve features than my m43 (which starts at x2 anyway)

None the less ...

.... plus the poor showing of their Z6 and Z7, started me on the road out of that world).
if you would care to share a raw file with me from one of those (something with a known blown highlight) I'd be interested in doing a bit of analysis ... drop me a PM if you are, and we'll work out the transfer.

PS: point 12 of the interview with Dave Coffin is interesting as my observation is that Sony do it too

12. How raw is a RAW file, are there any formats in which the sensor data has actually been modified before it's recorded?

Some Nikon cameras have gaps or spikes in the raw histogram, indicating that the colors were multiplied before being saved to the RAW file. Most cameras leave the RAW data alone, and write color multipliers into the metadata.

RAW storm in a teacup? Dave Coffin interviewed

Last edited:

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
A Spangled naturally.

Steve P is still kicking and doing some expressive photography.

My comment about the Z6 & 7 wasn't about the files but the design and implementation, in particular speed and AF. And I'm just going off reviewers I trust. It seems to me if Nikon wanted to halt the slide in unit sales (or at least keep me in the camp) it needed to produce mirrorless at least on par with the speed, AF and feature sets of the market leaders. I was assuming at one stage I'd buy one of theirs to match the steep purchase of the 500mm PF, but they don't look after enthusiasts very well (witness no crop sensor super telephoto despite the successful D500) and the wait for a capable sports/wildlife mirrorless body from them could be long.

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
Yeah, I'm not up to drongo standard but a fella's gotta have something to aim for.
A great scene recently was 3 Sulphur Cresteds taking turn standing on top of a roof whirly bird till they fell off and flew in a weird manner to get back up to the roof...or until one of the ones in line got impatient and pushed the other off..

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Love our parrots.

Here's a Mulga parrot shot with the G9. Not much of a picture but the colours ....

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Thanks serhan. There's some stonking images there.
Yes, IME a minimum of 600mm FE is the price of admission to bird shooting, and with the Sony A9, 100-400mm and 1.4x TC I'm barely there.
Longer would be better.
What would be best for my needs is an APS-C version of the A9.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom