• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Bird pix

Boblou

TalkEmount Rookie
The other day I also managed to capture an image of a female Belted Kingfisher....... Not the greatest image since she was at quite a distance from me and I didn't have a long enough lens nor a tripod, nor probably the right settings.....I was just tickled to see and photograph her at all, as normally she zips around the lake and there has been no opportunity to capture her being at rest for even a moment.

View attachment 112388
Not easy to catch.
Well done.
No

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
Thank you all! I wish that I had been able to get closer -- 560mm was not long enough a reach -- and that I had had my tripod or at least something to support the lens to increase stability, but there was nothing around where I was standing and there were no other good positions from which to get the shot, so I made do with what I had. I was just thrilled to actually be able to get any shots of the normally elusive kingfisher at all!

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
The other day I also managed to capture an image of a female Belted Kingfisher.......

Honestly that is a good picture. I find kingfishers are one of the hardest birds to get a good picture of. They even taunt you!

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Thank you all! I wish that I had been able to get closer -- 560mm was not long enough a reach -- and that I had had my tripod or at least something to support the lens to increase stability, but there was nothing around where I was standing and there were no other good positions from which to get the shot, so I made do with what I had. I was just thrilled to actually be able to get any shots of the normally elusive kingfisher at all!
At 1/250s you will get bird movement and that's most likely why the image is soft. Your rig will produce sharp croppable images handheld. Set your shutter at 1/1000s, set OSS to #1 or Off, and see the difference.
If the light is marginal I recommend a burst of shots even with static subjects. The AF accuracy isn't the best on these bodies and it will keep working during the burst so you pick the sharpest shot when you cull.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
Thank you both, Tipton and Ziggy! Those kingfishers are fast, elusive little birdies, aren't they?! Yes, I had earlier been shooting a cormorant who was standing quietly on a rock and then suddenly saw the kingfisher zip by, watched where she landed (high on a branch not all that close to me) and I was so excited it's a wonder I got any shots at all! LOL! I think my OSS was already set at 1, but yeah, that shutter speed was waaay too slow! Should've been in Shutter Priority rather than Aperture Priority. I was in Continuous High burst mode, which I usually set when I am pretty sure I'll be seeing some of our local feathered residents. It has paid off when my favorite GBH, who had been standing around in the water suddenly decided to take off one day and I did capture the sequence, which would have been impossible without being in burst mode.

The kingfisher has been around the lake most of the summer and I've seen her flying around here-and-there but never was close enough or fast enough to capture any sort of image of her at all. This was a real surprise to me and when I got home I pulled out my copy of "Birds of Virginia" to verify that, yes, indeed, this was a Belted Kingfisher!

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Bald eagle scared the crap out of a Blue Heron today.

_DSC2833-Edit.jpg

orlcam88

TalkEmount Veteran
I wasn't prepared to see any birds this day as it had just been rainy and it was mid-day. I made a stop at a rest area, a spot I've been to previously. There's a walk to the river that I frequent for quite and relaxation before heading back to the city. I've never seen Eagles here in the many years of this trip and this day I see 2. I didn't bring my tele this day, so the first two are cropped significantly. The last one was a rush shot as, and here's a lesson, I was looking at my shots since they flew away and looked up and see them heading back towards me. Took me by surprised and just started shooting. didn't have time to think about adjusting the shutter.
UpsateNewYork_20201101_0_36.jpg
UpsateNewYork_20201101_0_50.jpg
UpsateNewYork_20201101_0_48.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom