• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Bird pix

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
One day earlier this week I looked out the kitchen window and spotted my favorite GBH walking around on our pier, so I rushed to grab a camera....by the time I got out to my deck to take some shots he wasn't on the pier any more but then I spotted him walking around on the deck of our community clubhouse, which is next to my building. Watching him I realized that he was about to get up on the railing there, and was lucky enough to get a few shots, including this one:

DSC-RX10M4    Sony 24-600mm F2.4-4.0    218mm    f/4.0    1/640s    ISO 100

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Herons around here are much shyer than your area. If they catch sight of you moving in their general direction, they will take off. It does not help that my longest lens is only 110mm, but I think it might still be difficult to sneak up on them.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
Herons around here are much shyer than your area. If they catch sight of you moving in their general direction, they will take off. It does not help that my longest lens is only 110mm, but I think it might still be difficult to sneak up on them.
Oh, this guy is quite skittish and I was shooting him from quite a distance, actually! 600mm comes in handy in situations like this! Even at that, I cropped a bit, too. I was standing on my deck and the deck railing he was standing on was part of the building next to mine, the community clubhouse.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
My little buddy was out there again this morning, so I grabbed another few shots of him. He stood for a really long time in this pose!

DSC-RX10M4    Sony 24-600mm F2.4-4.0    220mm    f/4.0    1/1250s    ISO 100

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Female Wood Ducks with a Blue Heron in the background.
   ---            

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I should never have been able to take this photo. I'm feeling very sad and very bad about it.

ILCE-6500    30mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary 016    30mm    f/1.4    1/160s    ISO 100

The bush is growing over the top of a pit which has a submersible pump in it. When it rains, this pump clears the water from our garden. In fact, we need it even to clear household grey water, as, due to civic incompetence, we are lower than the drain!

The pit has an access hole. We do need occasional access. It has become overgrown. I mentioned it to my wife who told the guy who does odd jobs for us.

None of us had noticed the nest before he started work. It was well hidden.

It is a sunbird nest, and the male spends ages building it before the female even accepts and mates with him. Now it is exposed and within a jumping swipe of my murderous cats.

These birds are not in the least bothered about people. For years, they have nested just outside our kitchen window, just above where our maid washes clothes outside (no, that isn't odd: it's India). But they, and especially surviving young, are certainly at danger from cats.

And even without cats, of the several nesting iterations we have watched, the minority produce surviving fledglings. So it's just another disaster in sunbird life. But this time it's my fault. Damn.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
For the defence... it is not their normal habitat: they usually nest in a fairly open place, hanging from a tiny branch that would not take the weight of a predator. and about 8ft from the ground. And in the usual corner, by out kitchen window.

But still, I'm sad, yes. By the way, yes, I know that photographing nests is generally frowned on. This one, if not abandoned already, actually should be.

Hoping to be able to bring better sunbird news from our garden in the future.

Kmac76

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
Cross-posted from Pic of the Day...I thought I would share it in the Bird post as well. Local park in Mercer County NJ
ILCE-6000    FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS    240mm    f/6.3    1/400s    ISO 1000
ILCE-6000    FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS    240mm    f/6.3    1/400s    ISO 1000

A6000 w/sel24-240

sven karma

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
mark evans
ILCE-7S    ----       f/1.0    1/125s    ISO 1600

ILCE-7S    ----       f/1.0    1/125s    ISO 2500

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
I was really tickled yesterday afternoon to get fairly close to Alfred, our resident (immature?) GBH, and to get some shots of him with the 100-400mm plus 1.4x TC. He was just over 560mm away..... I usually have to crop shots of him, but not this time!

Alfred Close Up and Uncropped.jpeg
ILCE-7RM4    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter    560mm    f/10.0    1/250s    ISO 160

Top Bottom