Bird pix

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Some birds were out this morning so I thought I'd give 'birding' a try. MF lens is not the best way to go, especially with hummers.

These were taken with the 5cm Summilux.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Here's a Rainbow Lorikeet couple. They were climbing over each other to get at the pollen and then kindly helped clean it off each others' face.

Pushing the envelope here, with a 2xTC on the 100-400 mounted on the A7R III.
The detail is pretty good. Sharpening in post has to be treated with respect. AF was set to zone and focus confirmed with a large box, not the little dancing boxes. Maximum aperture is f11 and I expect that AF was CD only. Focus was fairly slow. Grabshots of BiF mostly locked on the background but the light was low and the birds towards the side of the frame.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Got caught with the wrong camera/lens out on my walk today, but did manage to catch this hawk being harassed by the local crow population.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Good effort.

Backlight like that, I add 1.5 EV.
I was standing out in a neighbors driveway, talking about the corona and his TR250, when we noticed the crows causing a ruckus. My camera had my shirt wrapped over it so it wasn't easily accessible. It was all I could do to get the camera out and turned on, let alone site the birds in the view finder with them being almost directly overhead. I wasn't prepared at all. Feel really lucky to have gotten what I did, so thanks.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Pacific Black Ducks are common as dirt down here so a photo has to have some extra to cut through innured vision. In this one I was taken with the texture and colour range in the wing feathers.

sven karma

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
mark evans

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Great Blue Heron getting buzzed by a Purple Martin. Oh, I bought a Sony E 70-350 G lens.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Regular
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
How did I miss this subforum before?!!! Methinks you'll be seeing a few bird images from me from now on....mostly waterfowl, since I live on a small lake and we have geese, ducks, herons, etc. Back in January I bought the 200-600mm lens, which I love dearly but have found really too heavy and awkward to carry on walks around the lake, so it now will be primarily living on the tripod with the Wimberley gimbal, which makes it much easier to handle.

Last week I bought the 100-400mm and then a few days later, added the 1.4x teleconverter, too, and this combo works just fine for walks around the lake and for later when I make excursions out to the local botanical gardens and other sites in my area. Now that we are finally in Phase 2 of the slow emergence from the "stay-at-home" orders, the parks and botanical gardens are beginning to open up again.

A Night Heron standing on the rocks at the foot of our little lake:

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Regular
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
Yellow-Crowned Night Heron up in the trees, surveying the world around him:

High Up in the Tree, a Safe Place.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom