Big lens, leeetle camera....the Pentax Q

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
This is the Pentax Q. It's a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that came out in 2011. Surprisinly, it has all the bells and whistles - IBIS, RAW support, 1080p video, focus peaking, that you'd expect from a modern camera (except for PDAF). It's only 12 megapixels, but that's just as much as the iPhone that took these pictures. It also may be the worlds smallest interchangeable lens camera. It's only real competition is the Pansonic GM1 in that category. Here it is next to my A7Rii for scale:

Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

The little lens on it is the "#6 telephoto zoom", the largest native lens available. It's 15-45mm. But the Pentax Q has a crop factor of 5.6! So that little lens is 84-252mm focal length equivalent.

Here it is with my Contax Zeiss Tele Tessar 300mm f/4, via adapter:

1680mm focal length equivalent, baby! And it's also useless without a tripod, even with stabilization.

The Q actually isn't a bad camera, otherwise. It has poor low light performance when compared to modern cameras, but you can stick it in your pocket with a 250mm lens. It's all a tradeoff. Here are a few sample pics:

Attachments

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Unfortunately it is likely the crop factor that doomed it. A 50mm eqivalent would be less than 10mm real focal length. Yikes.

Cool they had all that tech in there, though. Oh and the A7S cameras are only 12MP. Any idea what it sold for when new?

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any idea what it sold for when new?
No. Normally sells for $300-$500 on ebay, I got mine for $200. I understand the later models are plastic instead of magnesium, so they actually sell for less.

Latest posts

Top Bottom