Big Beautiful Red Shouldered Hawk

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Apr 14, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    I had the terrific luck of a beautiful Red Shouldered Hawk landing in a tree in my back yard...conditions were perfect, kitchen window was already open, grabbed an NEX-7 off the counter, and shot a couple dozen of the best quality Hawk shots I've ever taken until it flew off. I excitedly went to display the image folder..............

..........SD card was not in the camera.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Done that.

I now leave the card door open whenever the card is out. A visual reminder that the card is missing.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    The memory crutch I normally use is whenever I pull the card I put the battery in a charger...but at the prospects of the Hawk I jumped into high gear, grabbed the camera, realized the battery was out when it wouldn't turn on, ran and popped the battery back in, hurried to the window never even thinking about the SD card...and was so intense in focusing that I never even noticed the NO CARD flashing in the EVF.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    BTDT! I feel for you! ;)

Now I make it a point that whenever a SD card is removed, another takes its place for the next session. Same goes for batteries. Keeping them in rotation, with the exception of the Sony one.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    took my nex-6 to a concert with some friends, didn't have the memory card in the camera, feel your pain. Wouldn't believe what they where charging for a crappy 8 gig card at a convenience store.
  7. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I hate when that happens. I've done that too. Don't feel too badly, you're not alone. Even with digital we MUST remember to check the film!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Thinking about your approach, copying something someone else does is a high form of be flattered as I'm going to try your approach, LOL.
    I have an identical spare SD card and battery so I can easily establish that as a practice starting today.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    David K Fonseca
    :sorry:, man that stings. Sorry to hear. I also like the suggestion of constantly rotating cards as I have done this more then a few times now. Must be a sign of getting old SMH
    • Agree Agree x 1