1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Big Bad Wolf

Discussion in 'Nature' started by olli, Jan 16, 2013.

1. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    I'm fortunate to live near the zoo in Washington and often take a morning walk through the grounds. I always stop off by the wolves and as I was approaching their habitat I noticed this white one gnawing and chewing on something. I thought at first it was a meaty bone until I got a little closer and heard a squeak. With a closer look it turned out to be a stuffed, squeaky toy. It looks a little like a toy reindeer so perhaps it was a Christmas present for him (or her). I watched it for five minutes playing with this just like any dog you've ever seen - throwing it in the air and catching it, chewing and shaking at it, with his/her tail wagging. I was shooting with my NEX and the SEL50 so this is a very small crop from the original.

DSC03565 by ...olli..., on Flickr​

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Taming the savage beast... with a squeeky toy! ;)

Great shot, not what you'd normally expect to see. :)

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    ff0530d435ac0a52043f7ab2ed91dcce_6f5.
    Wolves are so beautiful. The squeaky toy pic is priceless. This one taken in South Spain, at a wolf park...

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I recently saw the movie "The Grey" ... although this movie over sensationalized the animal (same as Jaws did to sharks), I've got a different point of view of how vicious wolves can be when they're in survival mode - hungry and hunting in packs. They've got a beauty, but the wild ones need to be respected.

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Is that the stupid movie with Liam Neeson about workers crashing a plane up North ? Because if so, it's the most dumb @ss scenario I ever saw !! I studied wolves a bit in my dog handling/training past career and this movie just has ZERO credibility...

6. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    BBC produced a great programme about a wolf pack in northern Canada as part of their Natural World series a while back. You can still find it on You Tube.

Vicious? I suppose it can appear so but wolves are just doing what they need to do to survive. Viciousness is a human quality. My street dog friends (including my adopted one, Bella) killed nearly everything that moved - rats, mice, lizards, cats, birds - and not for food. It's just instinct.

(And in a fight between a wolf and Liam Neeson I'd definitely be cheering the wolf:))

7. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Beautiful animal! Must have been fun watching it play.
    Bruce

8. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Yes, but if they didn’t sensationalize and avoid the truth they wouldn’t have a movie.
    Bruce

9. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Haha... yes, that's the one. The film producers need to pay the public to watch that movie, not the other way around! :rolleyes:

10. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I agree - any wild animal needs to be respected, but that film was just ridiculous. Plus the cgi wolves did not even look or sound like real wolves.

11. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Cute pic! At the wolf park here in MA, they only seem to chew on actual deer (local roadkills). It's a little unnerving to watch, but at the same time it's very interesting to see the 'pack mentality' at work.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very cool, always loved wolves.