Better quality walk around prime

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by dixeyk, Nov 14, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have been thinking recently (now that things seems to stabilizing just a bit on the personal front) that I would pick up another Fuji body and mount the 35/1.4 or 35/2 on it as a AF body when I want to go that route. I say that as a former Fuji shooter (with 35/1.4 experience). My NEX is the digital back for my adapted lenses and the Fuji can't even come close to working with adapted lenses like the Sony which is why I moved back to Sony.

edited my previous post...

What do folks think would be a good high quality lens that would give me similar performance without breaking the bank? The 50mm EFL is a bit long for my tastes so I am looking at maybe the Sony 28/2.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Hmmm...I looked at the Sony 35 (in fact it was the first lens I thought of) but from the sample images I saw I wasn't exactly bowled over by it. Honestly I haven't been bowled over by many of the Sony E-Mount lenses. The 35/1.8 may score well on tests but images I have seen shot with it so far looked good but not great. It does have OSS and fast AF which is nice but at $329 used it probably makes more sense for me to pick up a cheap used Fuji body and a 35/1.4 or 35/2 (new for $390). If I'm patient get both for under $600 and the lens quality is a huge step up. Keep the NEX for adapted lenses and something else for when I want something different.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    If 50mm EFL is a bit long for your tastes, then you might as well not go too far out of your way for the Fuji 35mm.

The native normal prime selection for APS-C e-mount is actually not half bad. If you can manage with less speed, the Sigma 30mm is cheap and performs quite well. (I really like the slightly wide 45mm EFL.) I have that and the FE35/2.8 which renders quite nicely on APS-C (but is obviously not the most cost effective...) For a faster normal crop prime, I'd be torn between the Zeiss Touit 32mm and the FE28/2.

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yep there is that, I was willing to sell my Fuji AND the 35/1.4 because the 50mm EFL is (as my father used to say) as exciting as a sister kiss. There are times however when I want/like AF. I have the Sigma 30. it's a lens which I do like and think is waaay better than folks realize but it is so bloody slow to wake up on my NEX 6 that it is a huge PITA to use for a walk around lens. If it were faster to wake up from sleep I'd probably just stick with that. It would be a ton cheaper and less headache.

6. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yeah the 24mm Zeiss is special. I was actually thinking of buying an a6000 just to use that lens again. My nex6 will be going to my wife soon

• Like Like x 1
  8. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The Sony Zeiss 24 is indeed special but it's spendy and for as little as I use AF it's not worth it to me. As for the DXO test on the Sony 28, 35 and Sigma 30, it looks like the three lenses are not as far apart as their price tags would indicate. Whether that's good or not depends on your perspective.

Suffice to say my decision to use adapted lenses still seems like a good idea.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Buy a few extra batteries and leave the camera switched on, much cheaper than buying a new lens. It's what I did with the NEX-6 and the Sigma 30/2.8 which is awesome indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have a close friend that suggested the same thing to me last night. The Sigma is a nice little lens and really quite capable. For as few times that I will actually use AF it makes the best sense. Besides extra batteries are always a good thing.

12. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I bought the fotodiox adapter, 99.00 on Amazon, also the canon stm 40mm 2.8 for 95.00

Pretty nice combo on the a7 series. Not sure about the nex. I'll have to try it.

13. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Btw, the manual focus switch works well and very easy to use. Focus it by wire but really snaps into focus quite easy. Auto focus is for the most part really quick.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Using auto focus wide open 1/40 2.8 ISO 100
    OOC JPEG

image.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Crop
    image.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Here is how small it is even with the adapter

image.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    That looks like a fun combo but I find my Konica 40mm a bit long for a walkabout lens. I'd be curious if it works as well on APS-C. For me the ideal walk-around lens is something in the 24, 28 or 30mm FL. At the moment it's my Minolta 24, Nikon 28 or Sigma 30. I'd love something like the Zeiss 24 but I don't want AF bad enough to justify laying out that kind of cash. For the cost of that lens on sale I can buy a round trip ticket to Barcelona.

So for now if it's AF I want the Sigma 30 goes on and if not the Nikon or Minolta. I have a love/hate relationship with the Sigma 30. I've had four of them...three on e-mount and one on m43, and I keep selling them. They are reasonably fast to AF, sharp enough and have nice color but there is definitely something about them I don't quite like. Not sure what it is though. The interesting thing is that when I had the Fuji I found myself wishing that Sigma offered the 30 in X mount.

I have even purposely kept the Sigma 30 on my camera for weeks at a time to get used to using it and I simply end up not shooting anything. That said, when I do shoot it I typically like the results. Go figure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I had the same reaction to the Sigma 30 when I was shooting with the NEX-6. I know some love it, but it just made me shrug.

19. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The slow to wake thing is a royal PITA. You miss a lot of shots. Of course you can just not turn off the camera or let it sleep. But it's what I have at the moment so I'll give it another go.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  20. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I can live with slow wake up time but in my experience the colors of Sigma 30 are a bit too orange / green / blue. Not bad for a landscape lens but a pain to fix skin tones. This is of course very environment-dependent.

I was trying to use my Minolta Maxxum 35-70/4 Macro as a walkabout lens - it's tiny for a zoom so even with LA-EA2 is not a big deal, sharp and I absolutely love the colors it produces - but I find 35mm just a bit too limiting and really not that much different from 50mm.

What about Sony 20/2.8 ? I don't have it but it seems to be getting good reviews.