1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best wide angle lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by ilovenex, Jun 13, 2013.

1. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    Hi guys haven't posted anything in long time. I was on trip recently while I was taking pics. I notice that I need a good wide angle lens that I am missing. What would be a best one to get? 10-18 is too expensive. Perhaps should i look for adapted lenses? Please help

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have Samyang 14mm. It is much cheaper than 10-18 but it needs distortion correction. There are very few legacy lenses wider than 18mm.

3. ilovenex

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    Ya I would need something like 15 or less. What's distortion thing you have to do with samyang

4. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    My first suggestion is to try to use the kit lens at 18mm to see if that is good enough for you. If not take your time finding a wide angle lens, because they always come at a price premium.

One tip is to look for a Nikkor UD 20mm f/3.5 because I have seen some astonishing results in terms of IQ from that lens. Occasionally they are found at decent price levels.

I just started playing with my Tokina 17mm f/3.5 and my preliminary findings are that it has great colours with a good 3D analogue feel and no CA. If stopped down quite a bit, it has good sharpness too. This makes it a good outdoor lens but it's not for handheld interior shots.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Almost all legacy options at or below 15mm are big, bulky, expensive and not extremely good either. The Voigtländer 12mm and 15mm are some of the rare exceptions, bimjo has shown some examples on this forum. However, these lenses are so expensive that the native options may be a viable alternative. A Sony 10-18mm or a Zeiss Touit 12mm are your only native options at this moment. The Sony 10-18mm is quite good if you're able to get a good sample; IMHO it's an absolute must to buy it with a store that has a liberal return policy. All sample pictures of the Zeiss 12mm show very good performance, we'll have to wait and see how the lenses perform that are actually delivered to customers.

Talking about distortion, I can't speak from my own experience, but from what I've seen from the Samyang 14mm it has a fairly hefty distortion that will not be correctable with the simple pincushion/barrel slider in Lightroom, you'll need a profile to do that. This is another advantage of the native lenses: the Sony 10-18mm already has a profile in Lightroom and the Zeiss 12mm most probably will get one in the near future.

6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    CV 12mm/15mm are nice very small lenses, not the cheapest. Other dslr options are bigger.

Here is a Zeiss 12mm review (on Fuji with comments on comparison to Sony/Oly lenses):
    Just Touit – Zeiss Touit 12mm | sgoldswoblog

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Depending on how wide you want to go, the 16-50mm lens is a good option. It's my "go to" lens.

8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    "How wide" is the main question here. Sigma 19/2.8 is inexpensive, small, light, and excellent.

9. ilovenex

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    I have that lens. Someone told me it's not good so I stopped using it. He recommended me to buy CZ 20mm F4 for around 250$. Or 17mm tamron sp

10. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    The question is, is it good to you? I never let somebody tell me what's good and not good. If it's optically good to you, no reason to not use it.

That being said, at this point I've just been using the 18-55 kit lens for wide angle stuff. Other than that my Rokkor 50, is pretty much glued to my 5N. Probably going to go Rokinon fisheye for wider than the 18.

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I am experimenting with PT Lens right now to correct the distortion but don't have good material (I have some photos from Tallinn with it but Raw Therapee slider correction was good enough for me).

I think that barrel/pincushion correction is ok if you don't shoot modern buildings with it.

12. ilovenex

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver

I usually have my 35 1.8 glued on to my nex 6 my wife stole my 16-50 for her nex 5r lol. I'm new to all this. For landscape photos do I need a bigger aperature or sharper lens or not necessary?

13. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    35mm will work for some landscapes, especially if the distance is great. But as you have the Sigma 19mm, you should try that one. I personally don't like the way it renders an image, but it may be perfectly fine for you.

It seems like a good way to save moneys ;)

14. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Yesterday, I picked up my Tokina RMC 17mm f3.5. It's a very nice lens. Compact. It has nice colours, but unfortunately on my FD-mount adapter, it won't focus to infinity. So close shots can be really sharp, while landscapes are blurry. It's a bit inconvenient for a landscape lens, but I think I can fix it with a different adapter.

Here's a couple of samples:

Sony NEX-7 + Tokina RMC 17mm f3.5 @f11
    No Sitting! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sony NEX-7 + Tokina RMC 17mm f3.5
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaf_photo/9049184676/

15. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That was really bad advice. If you're happy with a lens, just continue using it. The other lenses he recommended, won't probably be "better", whatever that may mean. Rest assured that the Sigma 19/2.8 is a very good lens in terms of image quality; add to that its small size, low weight, autofocus, no need for an adapter and low price and it's clear that we have a winner here. If you don't like it, read on this forum and other forums like dpreview and try something else.

16. Red Bull 2013

Red Bull 2013 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 21, 2013
    I do not understand ... is Sony lens 16 / 2.8. Not Good? Why he dodges world?

17. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Some things to clarify here:

* If you like a lens, use it. Image quality measured in a labour won't affect your images - get better at composing them, get more creative at shooting and eventually, when you're good at what you do, spend money on high quality lenses.

* Wide angle lenses are not the only lenses used for landscapes. Many great landscape photographers use 100mm or 200mm lenses just as often as 16mm lenses. The thing is keeping stuff that may clutter your composition out of the picture is much harder with a wide angle lens, so starting with something around 24mm (on a NEX) is a pretty good way to start.

18. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    That's all true, but UWA lenses do offer a unique perspective that is hard to replace... I just bought a LA-EA2 so that I could use it with Sigma 12-24, hope it works out as I expect. There's few choices otherwise, 10-18 is very expensive, 16/2.8+UWA adapter is maligned by many, 19/2.8 is a great lens and I use it a lot but there's a world of difference in perspective between 12mm and 19mm. I am surprised Sigma doesn't offer a UWA adapter for this lens, seems like it would be in reasonably high demand.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free

19. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    True, if you can manage to get a clean composition with an ultra wide angle lens, it most definitely will look awesome. But in the end it comes down to exactly that, your composition. You need to adapt to the field of view of your lens and you'll get awesome, inspiring landscapes.

For comparison, here's the same scene shot with a 12mm lens (left) and a 24mm lens (right) to show there's no 'better', only a 'different'.

9338360123_2e53b5f8b4_z. 9080125163_1c924953e7_z.

• Like Like x 1
  20. rogatsby

rogatsby TalkEmount Rookie

May 21, 2013