Best way to share pictures on HDTV?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by FatDadddy, May 29, 2013.

1. FatDadddy

FatDadddy TalkEmount Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    I am going to Maui for the week next week and will be taking a ton of photos. What is the best way to share the photos TV besides sitting around a computer monitor?

2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    The NEX cameras do have an HDMI out, but takes a mini-HDMI socket at the camera end.

Many HD TV's can also read the SD directly.

Those are the two best choices. Yet another is a projector. If it can do HD, great. If not, the quality will be fairly poor.

After that, burning either a Blu-Ray or DVD would work, but DVD quality is the poorest of them all.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you have it - Airplay. But for this you need an iOS device with tons of storage, the Camera Connection Kit and and Apple TV ... So dbmiller's solution is definitely - MUCH - cheaper.

4. FatDadddy

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    I do have an Apple TV but its 720. May b ill get a 1080. I have transferred photos from Nex6 to iPad through wifi....is the pic quality better with the camera adapter?
    Thanks for the help!!

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    A laptop connected to TV (most modern TVs have PC VGA input), with a wireless keyboard for convenience (I paid $30 for Logitech one with a built in touchpad). Simple, easy and useful for much more than watching photos.

If you have a streaming box like Roku or similar, you can upload photos to Pi casa or Flickr and stream from there.

The biggest issue is TV screen calibration. Most TVs are too bright and too saturated by default.

6. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Can't you stream straight from your PC or mac through Apple TV to your HDTV?

7. FatDadddy

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    I have but the quality is avg at best. Prob cause 780 Apple TV vs 1080

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, that is a bigger than expected difference when viewing photos. I sold my 720p Apple TV last year for about 130 Euro (115 after all fees) and bought a new 1080p one for 99 Euro. A great deal I'd say. It was because the newer one couldn't (can't?) be jailbreaked as opposed to the older one. Luck for me as I don't need a jailbreak for a device I solely use to stream my iTunes content and YouTube videos to my TV.

Airplay is now pretty much implemented in all Apple devices and software. If you can set it up, it's definitely the most convenient way to get your photos on a TV. But as others pointed out here, there are tons of other solutions to do the same thing cheaper - you just always seem to need some sort of fiddling around as opposed to the cleanness of Airplay.

To one question here 'is the quality with the Camera Connection Kit better than when directly uploading via WiFi?' - it depends on the WiFi settings. I think there's an option to transfer the full resolution picture. It just will take longer than via the connector.

To Amamba's remark: Yes, TV calibration is a big issue. Any TV I saw until today is calibrated as bad as it gets out of the box. I have a flagship full LED LG TV with THX certification which allows me to calibrate it just as I can calibrate professional displays, but most TVs (even higher end ones) only allow a basic set of adjustments ... If this is the case, your photos will look bad, no matter what you do.