1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best Telephoto Lens for Concert Photography (Middle/High School)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Synomis192, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    My sister has a choir concert coming up next month. It's going to be in an auditorium that's pretty dark but the stage is well lit. From experience, on stage the lights are almost too blinding, but that could be the fact that I had a trombone bell on the left side of my face 4 years in a row. The venue doesn't allow the use flash, but they do allow monopods, as longs as it's unobtrusive.

I plan to purchase a telephoto lens that's around the focal range of 70mm - 300mm. Preferably, a fixed focal length but that clashes with the my target price. Which is $150-$200. Anyone have any good recommendations for a lens? I don't mind pushing my ISO up to 3200, or 6400 if needs be.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I paid 200 Euro for Nikon 180mm/2.8 but I got it cheaply. There are several good choices around 200mm (for example Nikon 180mm non ED) that may be got with 200 USD if you are lucky. However I suggest 70/80-200/210 fast quality zoom if f:4 is enough. With 300mm there are several good options but check the reputation of lens beforehand (for example some older Nikons are bad).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    Mmm, I'm liking the Nikon Glass but their naming convention is extremely confusing. Can't differentiate between the different mounts. I'm still never interested in their line up. Although, Nikkor's have a very good reputation among NEX users. I'll keep a lookout for them.

I know there's a lot of third-party manufacturers that deal out a multitude of telephoto lens, but it's hard to choose which one is the best.

Thanks for letting me know that there's some lenses that fall into that price range haha. f/4 is plenty enough for the NEX to handle so I'd be happy with that max aperture.

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I would go with the minolta 70 210. It's a very sharp lens and pretty easy to handle for a big boy. Also picked up an fd 135 2.5, really sharp wide open, crops well also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I also have the Minolta MD 70-210mm but the cheaper version with the variable aperture 4.5-5.6 instead of the "beercan" 70-210 f/4 and I'm very happy with its performance for what it is. Also, note that my version is much lighter and smaller than the f/4 version.

If 200mm floats your boat afterall and you're willing to spend $200, then I would also advice to look out for Sony SEL55-210 in a used condition

:)