Best lens for Landscape

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by snpr9696, Mar 1, 2016.

1. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Ok all. Quick question if I may. What is the best wide angle lens for landscapes that will still allow me to use my Lee Filter sets? Manual focus is just fine since I use that most for landscape long exposure. E mount would be preferable but I have a Metabones Canon adapter as well. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't believe there is an answer to this question. Lenses are part objective, part subjective. You will get many answers and in the end, you'll choose whatever you feel like choosing especially since you don't care if it's legacy, Canon, or E-mount.

Put me down for the FE 16-35Z, because Yada Yada Yada...

This will be interesting. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. snpr9696

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Well the 14mm Rokinon was interesting but I cannot use my Lee set on that front element.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Same here, and for the same reason. :D Unless you're allergic to zooms, or need something tiny and light, look no farther.

• Like Like x 2
  5. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Ah, the "best"... due to the ability to perform tilt and shift movements, which can be very useful for landscape photography, look into Canon 17 and 24 TSE lenses.
    Still in prime lens territory, look into the native Zeiss glass Loxia 21 and Batis 25. Top quality performers.
    If you prefer zooms, there is already the existing 16-35, and it seems that the upcoming 24-70 f2.8 will be top quality too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Seconded. I've seen terrific landscape images that have been shot with crap glass some folks wouldn't even touch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Everyone is being so polite. The correct answer is the 25mm Batis. Every other answer is wrong. The 25mm Batis is the best landscape lens because it is the one I use and I would not use it if it were not the best. It is the only wide angle lens I own because it is the best. Best best best.

...may need to cut back on the coffee.....

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. snpr9696

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Good Point...lol

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. snpr9696

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
  11. snpr9696

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    nevermind...Found my answer. NO...arghh!!!

12. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Actually, some performance factors from lenses can be measured quantitatively, that will affect landscape shooting. These are sharpness, acutance, and contrast, and distortion. Zeiss has the very good habit of releasing this data via their MTF graphs, which are measured in the lab, not produced by computer simulations.

So, assuming that for landscapes one desires higher numbers for sharpness and contrast, it is possible to select the best lenses. Which are the ones with name Otus on them:)

• Like Like x 1