1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best camera for video?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by bmg123, Feb 23, 2013.

1. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Hey everyone. I've had my NEX-F3 for just over a month now and if there's one thing I don't like about it, it's the lack of options when it comes to video, and the quality seems a little poor considering the sensor (AVCHD overall seems a bad format). So I was wondering what your thoughts were on video-focused cameras, whether it be within the NEX/Alpha lines or not. Of course, new cameras like the A99 give fantastic results, but my budget is unfortunately not quite there yet!
    I was particularly interested in something like the NEX-7 so I could keep the compact format and my e-mount lenses but also get the video quality I need, so if anyone's had experience with that, that would be great! But any other suggestions would be most welcome, or even just some tips on compression. (I use H.264 for YouTube stuff but even then the quality doesn't seem like 1080p even just off the camera card).
    I've been looking at things like the A77 and A57 as well, but there are so many options at this level it's getting a bit confusing, as for me value for money is far too big a consideration. I'd also like to find something I can stick with for a while, as I said I've only had the F3 for a month and already I'm finding limitations with it...it's a great camera but I don't think it will last much longer :(

2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    If video were my primary concern I would probably get a Panasonic GH3 (and I say that as a NEX fan). Just like if someone were to ask what I thought the best body for using legacy glass was...I'd say the NEX.

3. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I have been very impressed with the video I have seen from the Panasonic LX7 - just amateur video, unedited straight from camera. Not sure that a compact camera is what you want though? For people serious about video though, the GH2 /GH3 seems to be the way to go (plus an external mic, whatever camera you use for video). I don't really do video however, just going by what I have heard and read (and seen) from others.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Also, a used Panasonic GH2 is also dynamite for video

5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Panasonic video is pretty good - the GH series is best in class and the new GH3 appears to have an identical sensor to the OMD according to dxomark. But a more budget option is the FZ200 which I really enjoy shooting video with. The colors will not be at NEX level, but stabilization is better, there's constant f2.8 and better controls that more than make up for it in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

6. bmg123

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I had a look at the Panasonics and a hacked GH2 looks incredible, although I wouldn't want to risk doing that to an expensive camera. Such a shame we can't just hack the NEXs. The GH3 is a little out of budget until about September probably, so I might wait until then, but even so I seem to have reservations about the Panasonic brand (I've seen some awful products from them) but since everyone seems to be recommending a look then I'll give it a try.
    Such a shame Sony won't incorporate higher bitrates into their cameras, especially when they have the best focus-peaking and body stabilisation of most of the manufacturers. The only good Sony camera I've seen so far with decent video appears to be the A99, but at £2k body only I think I'll skip that for now :rolleyes: damn these UK taxes...

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The GH2 hack is well documented and doesn't harm the camera in any way - it's without doubt the best choice for video only. For photography & video, the NEX-5N and 7 are the best choices at the moment at this price level (the 5R and 6 have considerably worse video quality).

For slow mo, there's the Sony NEX-FS700, and you can go a little cheaper with the NEX-FS100, both great NEX video cameras. The best quality in the sub 3k region is offered by the Blackmagic Cinema Camera at the moment, and then there's Nikon with their clean HDMI out in the D7100 - bad to focus, but quality is very good with a external recorder like the Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle 2.

8. rungunshoot

rungunshoot TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm enjoying the hell out of shooting video with my old Sony NEX-5n and a Metabones Speed Booster, which essentially renders its image full-frame. Can't beat it for size/price/weight. Plus I can keep using the Speed Booster if I decide to upgrade to the FS line.

The compact Sony RX100 is also killer for video, provided you don't try to zoom in low light. The aperture drop-off is pretty steep. But it's very sharp, good in low light when zoomed out, and makes efficient use of the AVCHD compression.

GH3 is great but you'll also want to check out the new Nikon D5200, which has been garnering competitive reviews in the video department for low light and sharpness.

GH2 is end-of-life, as are its myriad of hacks, but you can get one for a steal these days and adapt any of your old lenses to it.

9. rungunshoot

rungunshoot TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 12, 2013
    Oh, and be aware that video got downgraded a bit when Sony changed their chipset from the NEX-5n/7 to the NEX-5r and NEX-6 chipset. The older cameras are actually better for video because they use stronger anti-aliasing filters, which dramatically reduce aliasing and moire in the video image. The video image on the 5n is also much less contrasty than the 6 for some reason, which makes it easier to manipulate in post for color correction.

10. bmg123

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Why oh why have Sony downgraded their video capabilities?! In today's market more and more cameras are doing video, yet they're going backwards! If Sony worked on the sensor/software side of things I think they could have some of the best video capable cameras out there, but they won't. I think the most attractive camera right now however is the GH2; the amount of stuff you can do with that for the price is just mind-boggling, especially the slow motion stuff. Well, guess I ought to start saving!

EDIT: I've seen a few 5Ns on ebay at reasonable prices so I'm gonna see if I can get one for around £300, sell the lens and then my F3, which should effectively make the camera free (as I got my F3 under the Sony cashback thing.) and see how the 5N is. I'd love to get one of those speedboosters but unfortunately I can't afford that on top of a camera :(

11. andy

andy TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 20, 2013
    Hey man! im using a NEX 7 now, i do use the 5 still but i've found it to be really bad in low light, ill post a vid below i've done recently and the 7 with older high quality lens is what you want. But as you'll hear so often, it all depends on what your filming and how your particular camera handles the condition.

You'll often be told to film fully flat and grade in post production but i find for some reason the nex7 grades really badly, you seem to get better results using the cameras settings.

@poki wouldn't we all love a FS700 but i haven't got the 8K just hanging around, same reason im not using a 5D MK3, if your on a budget dude i'd go with the NEX-7

Not sure why your having trouble with the format, thats what you'll use on the 7.

[video=vimeo;62544672]https://vimeo.com/62544672[/video]

12. bmg123

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Funny that, I just got a NEX-7 today! Thanks for the input :)

13. amoebahydra

amoebahydra TalkEmount Regular

Aug 11, 2014
    Yes GH-3 has good video quality and I am using it for aerial shot

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]