Best astrophotography lens on the A7Rii?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by taf1, Feb 26, 2016.

1. taf1

taf1 New to TalkEmount

Jan 16, 2016
    Tony Africano
    Am very keen to learn which Sony lens provides the best results for astrophotography on the Sony A7Rii? Or is one better to go with other, adapted lenses to get the best results?

2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    There's a pretty good site on astrophotography, lonelyspeck.com. Lots of reviews of lenses for astrophotography purposes - i.e., shooting the stars and the Milky Way. They have an article about picking out a lens, regardless of system, that is very informative.

How to Pick a Lens for Milky Way Photography

Basically, they favor wide angle lenses with wide apertures. The Rokinon/Samyang/Bower E-mount lenses are highly rated for this, like the 12mm f/2 for APS-C and the 24mm f/1.4 for Full Frame. For the Sony-branded E-mount lenses, I would guess the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 would perform the best on APS-C, and perhaps the 28/2 on FE.

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount mobile app

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I would imagine Loxia 21, Batis 25, Rokinon 14. The latter is popular on many systems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. taf1

taf1 New to TalkEmount

Jan 16, 2016
    Tony Africano
    Thank You WestOkid .... much appreciated.

5. taf1

taf1 New to TalkEmount

Jan 16, 2016
    Tony Africano

Thanks Hawkman ... Having come to the Sony A7rii from years as a Canon user, I am somewhat familiar with lenses that are generally recommended for astrophotography across most camera brands. I am a subscriber to LonelySpeck and have always found it very useful when it comes to reviews on equipment, post-editing etc. I aim particularly interested in recommendations from existing A7Rii users who happen to have tried and tested various lenses on this specific camera body and found one particularly 'great stand-out astropohotography lens' for this camera... Nonetheless, thanks for taking the time to reply, I do appreciate your feedback.

6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    The thing with astro photography is the coma performance. The new Batis 25 and Loxia 21 look they will provide excellent performance in this regard, but it is still early day regarding testing of these lenses. If a wide fast lens is generally regarded as excellent this may mean nothing for astro. Here is a shot from the very well regarded zuiko 24 2.8 shot at f4 even though this lens is very very sharp the coma performance is really bad. As a side note coma tends too clean up the further you stop down on a lens.

15695783923_2fa158a318_b. Stars by Chris Thackray, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    My apologies taf1. I should not have presumed any lack of familiarity on your part re: astrophotography. I hope some of our A7ii, A7Rii, and A7Sii users are able to offer some more specific recommendations. As an APS-C body user myself, I can't offer much more, other than that I covet the Rokinon 12/2 (are we allowed to say covet?) ;)

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount mobile app

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. taf1

taf1 New to TalkEmount

Jan 16, 2016
    Tony Africano
    Thank you Chris Thackray... I do appreciate your comments re: coma ... the pic you posted looks very similar to the results I'm getting with the Sony f2 28mm lens on the A7Rii ... I will look into the Loxia and Batis lenses you mentioned, so thank again...

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. taf1

taf1 New to TalkEmount

Jan 16, 2016
    Tony Africano
    No worries Hawkman, still appreciate your comments and replies ... Perhaps I need to search the web a little harder for recommendations from A7 users + astrophotography .. In the meantime, I do have a Rokinon lens 'on hold' at a local store, so maybe I'll just go with that choice as so many 'covet' them for astro work...

• Like Like x 1
  10. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    This is a timely discussion for me. I have the base A7 model, and tried my hand at astrophotography with it for the first time last weekend. (I have done astro with APS-C cameras.) I was using a Rokkor-X 45mm f/2 lens on it. I know my technique needs polished, but I'm happy with the results for now. I live in an area where I've never been able to see the Andromeda Galaxy, and the Milky Way is seen on only the clearest nights. Staying in a mountain cabin on a cold (cold!) weekend gave me the opportunity to see our night skies in an entirely new way. The attached image shows Andromeda clearly, as well as some airglow, but I'd like to get better at this. Thanks for posting that link, Steve. I'll check that out. I'm kind of shy about buying more lenses, as I've bought too many over the past few years, and I'm currently working on unloading some.

TT

DSC07724a.

• Like Like x 4
  11. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    I got the Sony 28/2 for my A7 and recently tried it out for some astrophotography from my backyard (I live in a pretty light-polluted area, so no milky way). It's got some coma, but according to the Lonely Speck review of this lens, the results are decent compared to other options like the Rokinon 24/1.4. I would rather have the 28/2 for its small size and AF than the Rokinon personally, but I don't get to shoot the milky way much, so it's not on my priority list.

24304758283_dd2d77af6d_h.

I also have tried the 55/1.8, which is nice, but you only get a sliver of the sky compared to other options obviously. This is a 3-shot stitch I took with that lens wide open:
    22198210214_7341255d31_b.
    I don't think you'd consider that as a real astro lens though :rolleyes-20:

• Like Like x 3
  12. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    28/2 is the "budget" option. The Batis 25 (or I'm guess soon to be released 18mm) or Loxia 21mm are both excellent but $$$.

I've also used a 1st gen. CV 15mm on the A7S and it did well but not on the A7RII.

13. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

14. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Impressive performance by the Tamron. Is this the same design that Pentax is using for their 15-30/2.8? The sensor-shift feature in the K-1 is really intriguing for astrophotography.

15. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Yeah, that's what I've heard. They're the same lens in a different housing. Sensor shift and astrophotography would be really cool.

16. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Ah, thank your for this! I will be camping next month where there is (or should be) very minimal light pollution. I am trying to figure out which lens to pack for the occasion... looks like the OM 24/.28 is out (at least for stars). I am currently debating on the Rok 14/2.8 or 24/1.4. I have neither, so I need to buy. Leaning more towards the 24mm.

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Where are you headed, Randy? I'm planning to head out to Steens Mtn. and the Alford desert during the next new moon. But I'm always interested in other places here in Oregon that might be good for astrophotography.

18. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
  19. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    You might have already looked at this page, but I'll post it for all viewing the thread. I bought the Rokinon 12 for my a6000 based on this and like it
    Astrophotography Nightscape Lens Rating

20. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Is the a6000 an APS-C or a Full Frame body?