1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best 28mm for around 100$

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by BrorSvensson, Sep 15, 2016.

1. BrorSvensson

BrorSvensson TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    I want to something to complement my samyang 35mm 1.4 when i cant be boderd to carry it around so i thought i would get an 28mm since thats the iphone focal length im used to.
    I've seen some tamron adaptal 28mm f2.5 around, are they any good?

2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I like my Tokina 28 2.8 there is a sample thread I believe

• Like Like x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Yes, the Tamron 02B Adaptall2 is a good performer. I found the color rendering to be on the cool side. It had sharpness across the frame of my a6000, and very good depth, a sign of good microcontrast.
    Since 28mm was as popular as 50mm focal length, you're going to find a dizzying number of them available. Some great, some not. Here's a list of some I've tried...
    The Great Twenty-Eight Debate

4. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    Thank You! Yes the amount of 28mm 2.8's out there are is amazing haha.

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I had 3 different 28mm.

1) Kiron 28/2 MC - this was probably the best as far as the overall IQ. Good bokeh for a wide lens, very sharp. Rather low contrast and glowy wide open, but that was easily fixed in post (contrast, anyway). Very good colors. OTOH it was a relatively large and heavy lens, about the size and weight of Minolta 50/1.4. I traded it for a 1650, largely because I have Sigma 30 and they kind of overlap.

2) Minolta MD28/2.8 - it was a good lens, also very sharp. Very compact. What I didn't like about it, though, was getting somewhat weird skin tones every now and then. Like, deep orange. But I am really splitting hair here. I sold it too, since I had that Kiron.

3) I just picked a Tou/Five Star 28/2.8 in Pentax K mount, it seems very good optically - sharp wide open, but the colors are a bit less punchy than Minolta's. Size wise, it's smaller than Kiron, but larger than Minolta.

Any of these three lenses would probably be very good.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. DigiChromeEd

DigiChromeEd New to TalkEmount

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    Edgar
    Another excellent choice would be a Konica Hexanon AR 28mm f3.5. Make sure it's the Konica manufactured 7 elements in 7 groups version 7:7 and not the later Tokina made 5:5 version which is inferior.

7. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    Thanks eveyone's suggestions! i ended up with the kiron 28mm f2 nikon mount

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Great ! Out of all 28's I tried, it had the best overall IQ.

However, I went out with that Tou (Toyo) and I am extremely impressed. I am very picky about skin tones, and so far - at least in the lighting conditions I was in - that lens produced extremely good skin tones. (I'd say Kiron was also very good, but Minolta and Sigma 30 drive me nuts sometimes). If anything, it's very muted and understated, so it does require post processing to bring out the best in the photos, but it has great resolution and extremely accurate skin tones.. so far. One thing it does not shine in is bokeh; here, Kiron has it beat.