1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Beginners editing tools

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davegore2005, Oct 22, 2013.

1. davegore2005

davegore2005 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    As a relative beginner to what i call 'big boy' photography instead of just point and shoot, I have decided to try some basic editing...so for a first time editor, but admittedly pretty ok using a computer, what would be the best editing suite to try??

any advice or opinions welcomed

Dave

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Like always, Lightroom (Mac, Windows) or Aperture (Mac) are the best options. Lightroom has much more advanced features right now (a new, much improved version of Aperture is overdue for years now) but the interface of Aperture is more beautiful, simpler and Aperture is cheaper (about 60€ right now). For doing composites or layering photos together I suggest Pixelmator (Mac), don't know any as good and as cheap program for Windows unfortunately (Photoshop Elements doesn't even come close to Pixelmator when it comes to the workflow).

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that original poster is meaning really simple stuff like Picasa etc.. These come to my mind:
    IfranView
    Paint.Net
    Paintshop.pro

I use XNviewMP, Raw Therapee and GIMP. GIMP isn't easy to use but these are free and work in Linux.

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Might be, but having a Software that grows with you is great. For example, you can just use the basic contrast, saturation and so on sliders in Aperture at the beginning, and when you know how they behave and what you like, you can start using the more advanced tools and brushes. It's not like Aperture is a difficult program to learn.

5. davegore2005

Jan 31, 2013
    i have picassa, which we use occasionally, but i am kind of looking at something on the next rung on the ladder...even if my expertize or ability stretched to lightroom, i am not sure if i have the skills to be able to use it to it's full potential.

Dave

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nobody starts using Lightroom and already uses it to its full potential. But that's not the point. Just start using it - it's surprisingly good in hiding features you don't need or don't want to know about.

• Like Like x 1
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, completely agree. I started using GIMP just few years ago and find new stuff constantly. GIMP is something like champion in unintuitive UI.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    One very helpful aspect to Lightroom, especially when you're just getting started, is that Adobe has made some great online tutorials available on their AdobeTV website. All are about 5-10 mins in length, and generally deal with just a single aspect of the interface. So you can learn just as much as you want, and not get overwhelmed with a deluge of information. Highly recommended.

9. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I grew up with Photoshop. Had Photoshop 6 on my computer for years. Went to art school for computer animation and learned how to use it fully. So I will always be a fan of Adobe. As I got out of animation and my artistic career went away, I forgot about it all. But fast forward to this spring when I bought this camera, my neighbor (who is a photographer) told me about Adobe Lightroom. I went back to Adobe.com and checked it out and got super excited. My Photoshop 6 version was just a tad bit outdated ;) I proceeded to download Photoshop Elements and LR4 and love them both. You can do basic stuff in Photoshop no problem, but I would go for Lightroom if you can. Just my two cents worth. I'm not a professional anything. Just a regular gal who likes to play on the computer and with this camera.

10. davegore2005

Jan 31, 2013
    looks light lightroom is the one to go for...thanks for the views...any more appreciated

Dave

11. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Just started using light room this week and have to say could never go back to raw Therapee and Picasa. now, it makes everything so simple. Very obviously designed for photographers. Been able to go back to some old shots and really push them with little or no effort. Very intuitive interface once you learn a few keyboard shortcuts.

12. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    +1 lightroom is the best for sure. try Serge Ramelli's tutorials and you will just be able to reveal your photos !