1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Beercan with LA-EA2 vs 55-210

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I think I need an AF tele, manual focus has it's limitations, especially when traveling.

I am trying to chose between Minolta 70-210/4 "Beercan" and SEL55-210.

Assuming optically Beercan is the same as it's older MF brother, here's how they seem to compare:

Price - Beercan is about $90-110 on eBay, SEL is about double that used, from what I could see.

IQ - While SEL can produce some very nice photos, if Beercan is the same as my MD70-210/4, it should have superior optics.

AF - this one I don't know much about, supposedly neither is a speed demon on Ne

Tele end - Beercan is faster and supposedly better IQ wide open at 200mm. SEL has OSS. Don't know how they stack up.

Low light - again, Beercan is constant f4 while SEL has OSS but much slower apertures. Is f4 unstabilized going to win over stabilized f6.3 ? Which lens is slower focusing in low light ?

Size - SEL is more compact, plus I assume it doesn't eat up the batteries the way LA-EA2 does.

So, which one should I go with ? Anyone has both to compare ?

2. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    Don't have both but have Maxxum "beercan" 70-210 F4

Handles beautifully with EA2 which surprised me. Constant F4 gives plenty of shutter to offset loss of SSS on alpha A mount cams. Focus is just as fast and accurate as on the A700, actually maybe a bit faster! I was surprised actually at how well it handled on the NEX 6. You will be very pleased!

I have a Maxxum 200 2.8 tho which is superior on the long end so not sure how much I will use my beercan going forward tho it is a favorite in my kit that you can see below.

Mine is sharp from F4 I am blessed to have an outstanding copy. I have heard beercans vary dramatically in optical quality and sharpness.....demo before you buy if possible.
    Suggest source via LCS or Craigslist so you can hands on first to assure a good copy.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    ....oh and I always have a spare battery on hand for duty when shooting with EA2. Plenty of juice with 2 batteries, no worries.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks. I ended up ordering a Beercan from KEH, rated "EX". Even though I didn't get a chance to inspect it, worst case I'll have to pay shipping both ways. Locally, only two were available and both sellers refused to separate them from other stuff so I'd end up paying $200 for a bunch of old stuff I don't want.

If this works out and the Beercan is as good as my MD70-210/4 Macro, I'll start looking for 35-70/3.5 Macro with AF. That lens is probably a single best lens I have in terms of overall performance and useful range, but it's not good (in my hands) on moving subjects.

5. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    KEH is rock solid, I have done multiple deals there with zero disappointments.

Good luck and let me know what you think of her when you get a chance to road test!

6. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    I would strongly recco the Maxxum 35-105 original BTW the favorite lens in my kit despite the MFD issues she has....teamed up with a BC you can really cover the walkarounds!

7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, I just got my Beercan from KEH. Kudos to them for fast shipping. Unfortunately it's dark and gloomy outside & not a good weather to run it against the MD version. So far it seems the colors & bokeh are similar, MD probably is slightly sharper (or more likely, careful MF focusing trumps AF), MD is also brighter (or rather, there's no loss of light due to LA-EA2 translucent mirror). The sucker mounted on adapter mounted on camera is large, although compared to my Canon DSLR with Tamron 70-300VC it's still half the size ;)

One thing I didn't realize is that despite the same filter size, the hood from MD does not fit the beercan. Anyone knows of a good aftermarket hood that's not a screw-on type ?

8. bljarv

bljarv New to TalkEmount

Mar 5, 2014
    Amamba, some sample pics when you've got them would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-P600 using TalkEmount mobile app

9. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Nick, thanks. They sell the original hoods here too, but these prices come to about $40-45 after shipping, which is almost half of what I paid for the lens. I may end up just buying a collapsible rubber hood that screws into filter thread.

Absolutely will post them, hopefully this weekend. Right now the weather sucks.

10. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35...nd-Hoods?s=1&bcode=MA&ccode=27&cc=3305&r=WG&f

KEH would be your low cost source for the hood - I don't see one listed presently tho.....

I love KEH but I will admit I find it a little odd that they sold a EX rated beercan without the hood.....the hood is absolutely essential IMHO.

Might be worth a quick polite phone call of mild protest? Customer service is KEH focus.....or perhaps they might suggest a suitable replacement from the current inventory?

Regarding the size make sure you are weighting the beast in the palm of your bracing hand vs the little NEX 6 body ha ha! Doing that I find it handles brilliantly!

Good luck again!

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Oh, gotcha ;) I always buy oe hoods for my MDs not matter the cost - I'm weird I know :D

12. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Finally got to using the lens. I think it's close to the MD version, although I would really need to use them together on the same subject to make a real comparison.

Here's a portrait I did today at f4 (and missed focus on my daughter's face...). Some vignetting was added in post.

20140510-DSC01061 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  13. Nickdontario

Nickdontario New to TalkEmount

May 4, 2014
    Toronto canada
    Nick
    Beercan

hrstrat57;
    Greeting from Toronto.I am new here. I used to have a beercan, happy with it but sold it along with the Sony A 100 quite a few years ago. Now, I got an A 6000 and need something longer than the kit lens. I also have a LE EA2. Made a mistake buying a tamron 70-300 because it doesn't have a motor, so the LE EA 2 is a waste. You mentioned the beercan "Focus is just as fast and accurate as on the A700, actually maybe a bit faster!" with your NEX 6. Did you mean AUTOFOCUS with the NEX 6 and the LE - ER2? If so, the beercan must have its own motor, is that right? Thanks!

14. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    It has autofocus on Nex 6 with LA-EA2. Is this what you meant ? I don't know if "LE EA2" was a typo.

15. ryanlio

ryanlio TalkEmount Regular

Mar 13, 2014
    Used to own la-ea4 + beercan. After getting the a6000, I switched to 55-210 + dh1758. Giving me a range of 55-500 in that combo. . Also the fast af from the a6000 influenced my switch..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

16. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    I did mean AF, the EA2 is outstanding. No SSS of course like A mount so you need a decent shutter speed.

17. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    A few more shots from the same bike ride in the woods near our subdivision.

We surprised a couple in the middle of their date ;) but they just went about their business as if nothing had happened. The girl was twice as big as the guy.

14149638976_fcf45f5f8c_c. 20140510-DSC01070 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

13986145249_a5ab958762_c. 20140510-DSC01075 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

I think it's a Northern Water Snake. Over 3 ft / 1 meter long, and thicker than a garden hose.

And then there was this guy

13986174468_20f9f8c853_c. 20140510-DSC01077 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

13986173997_5540be6239_c. 20140510-DSC01078 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

Overall, I like the lens, it is pretty good optically and focuses mostly fast. Kind of heavy, but I will live with it. Definitely easier to use than the MD version, and looks like it's equally nice optically.

I did talk to KEH. Their listings show exactly what is being sold and the rating is based on condition of the lens, so "EX" and even "LN" can be sold without a hood or caps. Since the listing did not have hood in it, I guess it's my miss, not that it would change anything. I got a cheap metal screw-in hood from eBay, seems to work just fine.

• Like Like x 4
  18. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice results :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks. I decided to order Minolta Maxxum 35-70/4 Macro, it was fairly cheap ($40 delivered). Plus, I am really not good in MF on moving subjects. While I don't expect it to match the IQ of MD version, I hope it is close, then it + Sigma 19 could be a good alternative to the kit lens. Even though my 2nd kit lens is much better than the 1st, I still can't say I'm in love with it.