1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bean Bag for Camera use

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by roundball, Oct 21, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Wow...wish I'd gotten one of these a long time ago...got this medium sized 'Grizzly' Bean Bag.
    (note: lettering on the website product photo looks pink but it's actually red)
    Have used it a couple times now and it is amazing how rock solid steady it holds a camera & lens.

For a filler there are almost weightless Styrofoam pellets made for it in case somebody want to carry one around with them.
    But when they arrived I immediately knew I wouldn't use them...I don't plan to carry it around...will use it in the car or window sill of the house, etc...and don't want the thing as light as a feather blowing off the window as soon as I lift the camera.

If not carrying it around you can use practically anything...sand, popcorn, sunflower seeds, rice, beans...or what I used which was 10lbs of Aquarium Gravel I happened to have on hand.
    Sits in place like the Rock of Gibraltar and nestled / held my Canon 300 and NEX-7 rock solid still for the 2nd photo below.

• Like Like x 7
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A great resource if you carry around a gear bag

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Mainly got the Bean Bag for use on a car window, and turns out it works fine on the narrow kitchen window sill as well...anywhere there's a small spot that something can be draped over and conform to the shape so it doesn't move

• Like Like x 1
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    PRODUCT UPDATE AND A GOOD WORD ABOUT THE COMPANY NAMED GRIZZLY

Have used the beanbag a couple dozen times since getting it and it really does a good job.
    Then yesterday I noticed filling was leaking out of an area where a seam had begin to come apart.

Emptied out the filling, then turned the bag assembly inside out so I could see what the problem was.
    Found that where one of the seams was stitched together, the sewing machine or operator or computer robot or whatever had allowed the track of the stitching to come right to the very edge of the fabric...no strength there for a couple inches.
    The thread finally pulled through / away from the tiny edge of fabric and the filling began leaking.

THE GOOD NEWS:
    Sent an Email to the company asking if they'd make it good and heard back from some manager...today on a Sunday...apologizing profusely, said a replacement would be sent out first thing tomorrow.

Said they make about 50% of their product here in the US, and had recently transferred 50% of their manufacturing to China...that there is still a learning curve there. Asked me to check the label and see where it was made...I did and it was at their location in China.

Said he would include a check when he sent the replacement beanbag to cover return postage for me to send it back so they could use it as a QC example that would need to be addressed over there.

Hard to beat that kind of professional customer service and I told him I'd post about his company's product and support.

• Like Like x 3
  5. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Maybe send this to sony so they know how customer support should be done :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Exactly!

Finding good customer service is rare these days - this company seems to get it :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  7. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    I use one all the time on the car door with my Canon FD 500mm f4.5
    different make though.....

• Like Like x 1
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks, they really do a great job. I had assumed beanbags were beanbags and no more than I'd probably use one, I assumed a heavy duty Cordura bag would be fine and this one has, except for the unfortunate stitching in one spot.
    BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what brand did you go with?

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just posted this write-up on the Sony Customer Relations website...be interesting to see if they leave it up.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN EXAMPLE OF OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE / PRODUCT SUPPORT

One of the accessories I use with long lenses on my Sony NEX-7 is a ‘beanbag’ when setting up a tripod is not practical. Have used it many times and it really does a good job. Then yesterday I noticed filling was starting to trickle out of an area where a seam had begun to come apart.

Emptied out the filling and turned the bag inside out so I could see what the problem was…found where one of the seams was stitched together, the sewing machine or the operator or the computer robot or whatever had allowed the track of the stitching to come right to the very edge of the fabric. There was no strength there for a couple inches and the sewing thread had finally pulled through / away from the tiny edge of fabric and the filling began leaking.

THE GOOD NEWS:
    Sent an Email of the above to the “The Wild Grizzly” company asking if they'd make it good and heard back from a manager yesterday...on a Sunday no less...apologizing profusely, said a replacement would be sent out first thing Monday morning.

Said they make about 50% of their product here in the US, and had recently transferred 50% of their manufacturing to China...that there is still a learning curve there. Asked me to check the label and see where it was made...I did and it was at their location in China. Said he would include a check to cover return postage for me to send it back so they could use it as a QC example that would need to be addressed over there.

Hard to beat that kind of professional customer service attitude and I told him I'd post about “The Wild Grizzly” company's Customer Service on the various Internet Photography Forums I frequent daily, and have done so.

That kind of 5-star Customer Service should be a model for other companies to follow.

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Big padded envelope arrived yesterday with the replacement beanbag, a pre-printed / labeled return padded envelope, and a check for $5 to cover return postage.

I packed the defective one back up, along with his check, and a note telling him I was so impressed with his excellent customer service attitude in this day and age that I'd gladly cover the little bit of return postage myself.

Already had 4lbs of rice on hand waiting, filled the new beanbag and have already used it this morning...life is good.