Be careful!

Discussion in 'Nature' started by TonyTurley, Aug 26, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The things you learn when you hike. This delicate beauty is Queen Anne's Lace, or Wild Carrot. It's roots are edible, and its leaves are said to have medicinal purposes. Unfortunately, it is very similar in appearance to Poison Hemlock, which is so toxic that eating a few leaves can kill an adult human. Pity the poor soul who made that accidental discovery.

Tony

DSC06140_zpse743cc87.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Neat info

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Watch the birds!
    Excellent shot BTW...

4. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks RT.

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Another toxic weed I found on my walk

I knew this weed was on the property, but I was unaware of just how extensively. Jimson Weed (Datura stramonium) is a common weed along roadsides, in cornfields and pastures, and in waste areas. It is in the same family as Belladonna, or Deadly Nightshade. Jimson Weed has been described throughout history as a toxin famous for its mind-altering properties - all the way back to the time of Homer. Extracts from the plant contain high concentrations of several powerful drugs that inhibit the central nervous system, including scopolamine and atropine. In proper, carefully maintained doses, Datura extracts are used in treating asthma and Parkinson's. In higher doses, they can cause psychosis, coma, and death. Even accidental ingestion or absorption through improper handling of Datura cuttings can cause serious illness, as toxicity can vary from leaf to leaf, plant to plant and season to season. Unfortunately, it has a history of being used as a recreational mind-altering substance, and some people even cultivate it for that purpose. I'm going to recommend to our property committee that we carefully remove and dispose of the plants.

Attached Files:

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Great info. Pics aren't bad either. ;)

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
  8. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Well great shots Tony, but also like the read and info. Very interesting and yep, glad I wasn't the one that found out the hard way mate :) Well done and all fine shots, well taken.

Danny.

9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Danny.