1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Battle of the centennials MD 100 2.5 vs PK 100 2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dsiglin, May 13, 2014.

1. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Sorry no blood and gore knock-out, just some peaceful rose bush shots. And sadly I didn't realize until later that I had been shooting at ISO1250. :(
    For your consideration please take a look at the following:
    34e2i6t.

Pentax SMC-M 100mm center @f2.8
    PK100_28_f28_center.

Minolta MD 100mm center @2.5
    MD100_25_f25_center.

Pentax @ f2.8
    PK100_28_f28.

Minolta @ f2.5
    MD100_25_f25.

Pentax @ f5.6
    PK100_28_f56.

Minolta @f5.6
    MD100_25_f56.

Sharpness: Pentax is clearly winning here, nice resolution wide open. The image really pops. That said the Minolta gives a nice soft glow that is considered a classic portrait look. Personally I'm not a fan of that look. I'd rather soften skin up in post process.
    Colors: too close to call for me, though looks like the Pentax is slightly warmer toned and due to the sharpness wide open it renders more distinct colors
    Bokeh: Mixed; wide open the Minolta melts the background away while the Pentax shows more bokeh fringing. However at f5.6 things have reversed. Now, with the Minolta you have more aperture half-stops between f2.5 and f5.6.
    Ergonomics: the focusing throw is longer on the Minolta. Minolta aperture turns the opposite way of the Pentax. That's fine either way.
    Portability: Here's the interesting bit. That Pentax is SMALL. Disgustingly small. It balances well with the A6000. The Minolta feels too lens heavy.

So, there you have my thoughts on these two lenses. Either one is a good choice. It's the photographer that matters the most.

• Like Like x 7
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, the Minolta is terrible. I think you should give it to me for proper disposal, lol :D

Joking aside, thanks for the test/review! I also agree that from the examples here the Pentax is sharper, with warmer colors :thumbup:

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I would be happy with either, but agree that the pentax is a bit sharper.

Pentax lens are known for turning backwards, a bit wierd, but it is how they are built from that era.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That specific Minolta model is quite hefty indeed. The later MD 100/2.5 is lighter and smaller and has a built-in lens hood, it's my preferred telephoto lens.

5. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    If i look for the later version, is there a different name for it? Or is it a different filter size than this one's 55?

6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yes, the later version is easily distinguished by a) no Rokkor designation, b) 49mm filter thread and c) built-in two-piece extensible lens hood.

20110702-006-L.

20110702-010-L.

7. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Sooooo do you have one of those because I would trade you :). Only half kidding.

8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Hmm, I'd remotely consider it if it weren't for the fact that I own the older model as well :).

9. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    figures...