1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Battery Longevity

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by TareqPhoto, Oct 31, 2014.

1. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Tareq
    How many batteries do you take/carry for A7/A7r when you go hike long time a day or whole day away from home? how long the battery can hold per day?

2. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    I carry six with me between two cameras. When I shoot a wedding, I use the battery grip on my a7, and I can generally last a day with only two batteries. I tend to use "Viewfinder Only" instead of the LCD and Viewfinder or LCD only for composing and reviewing pictures. When it's set to Viewfinder Only, the viewfinder only comes on when the proximity sensor senses something close to the camera. I think this helps preserve the battery life by a ton.

I'll shoot over 1k pictures in a typical wedding.

3. TareqPhoto

Jun 16, 2014
    Tareq
    Ok

So, if i use LCD instead of the VF, and i chimp a lot, and say i will turn off the camera when i move from one place to another, how long you think one battery can hold?

4. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    Well, the LCD will burn more battery on, than not. I haven't done the experiment, but my understanding is that it takes more battery power to power on and off than to just leave it on. I have noticed that my batteries seem to last for fewer shots when I turn it on and off than when I just leave it one constantly.

I did do a few hour long landscape shoot when I shot a lot (many more than most real landscape photographers shoot) of photos, and I did it on one battery. That was with the LCD on. If memory serves, that was about 300 total pictures with no problem.

I frequently use one battery for several portrait shoots with the LCD on, and often with the 70-200 with image stabilization on. That can be 500 shots or more, but I'm usually scraping the bottom of the battery barrel near the end of the third shoot.

Again - just a guess, but I'd say that you could comfortably expect 500 or more if you do a few things that preserve the battery (turn off the EVF if you're not going to use it - i.e., limit the camera to LCD only - , don't turn the camera on and off repeatedly, turn down the screen brightness).

5. TareqPhoto

Jun 16, 2014
    Tareq
    Well, from the answers i've got here and another sites, sounds i will be much more than fine, because i have already 4 batteries that i carry easily all the time, even one i didn't open from the box yet because i didn't shoot a lot yet and i charge the 3 opened one all the time i can, i just was thinking when i will travel where i will be shooting outdoor for most of the time in a day, so i wanted to be sure how long i can go then.

Also the battery is cheap, i can buy more if i want to have say 5-6, but sounds it is too much not necessary, i also bought a charger with car adapter, and also a power pack, so i can always be in charge with batteries if i can.