1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

battery life

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by BJW, Nov 16, 2014.

1. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    I keep hearing conflicting reports on the battery life of the A-6000. What is your feeling in this regard? Please no sugar-coating.
    Bruce

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    For a 3-4 hour hike, with the camera left on most of the time to aid getting fleeting moments, 1 battery.

For a full day of serious shooting (as in a pro event, e.g. a wedding), 2-3 batteries.

I have all the gizmo's like NFC/Wifi etc all turned on, don't turn anything off to save power. The biggest drain is AF, I shoot continuous-AF mode most of the time, if you shoot mainly MF expect to maybe double even the battery life.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The A6000 should last longer than my NEX-7 on one battery, according to Sony. And I am pretty happy with the battery life of mine. One battery is easily enough for shooting a full concert, doing a portrait shooting for two or three hours or go on a half day trip. If you want to keep shooting through the day, take a second battery, just to make sure you won't run out of power.

But it's not bad at all.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    I use an a7 and an a6000 to photograph weddings (which is what I do for a living). I switched from two Canon 1D Mk IVs. Because of what I'd read about battery life, I bought six batteries. I've never used more than 3 total between both cameras for a wedding, and that's shooting upward of 1000 photos. I DO switch the camera to Viewfinder mode only (so that the LCD on the back doesn't illuminate at all). In this mode, the viewfinder LCD only illuminates when the proximity sensor notices that the camera is close to my face. That has GREATLY improved battery life for me (along with turning off full time pre-focus).

• Like Like x 1
  5. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Interesting! I guess for safety's sake I need two, possibly three. And I would believe that would include a charger.
    Thanks!
    Bruce

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    But buy third party ones. There are a few that offer the same or even a higher capacity than the Sony ones and cost only half as much.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Any recomendations on a specific brand? (besides wasabi)

I've been debating buying a few myself but I've read some nasty reviews/comments that 3rd party batteries can cause damage to the camera that put me off...

8. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    FWIW, I have two third party batteries, and they are awful. They got good ratings on Amazon, but they hold about half the capacity as the Sonys. I've had good luck with third party batteries in the past (in fact, I used third party batteries almost exclusively when I shot Canon, and I have some Wasabis for my RX100 that I love), but this one was a swing an a miss. I now own four Sony and two third parties. I still use the off brands, but they aren't good. Here's what I got:

Battery

• Like Like x 1
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I suspect that most third-party batteries are a crap shoot. I have a couple of Wasabis that suck compared to the Sony battery that came with my camera. But I've read of other, happy Wasabi customers. So my guess is that these third party battery vendors source their batteries from the flavor-of-the-month, i.e., whoever is selling them wholesale cheaply at the moment, and then slap their labels on them. If you happen to get one from good batch, lucky you, if not...

• Like Like x 3
  10. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I don't own a a6000 but I use the vivitar brand batteries for the A7 and they have been flawless for quite a while now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    FYI regarding the Vivitar battery in the a6000....
    I got one with their external charger bundled with my a6000 purchase.
    The battery is significantly lighter than the OEM Sony battery, and I don't find it holds a charge as long. More shots from the Sony battery.
    Biggest observation....
    IT WON'T CHARGE IN-CAMERA VIA USB! The battery doesn't reach 100%. The charge LED shuts off prematurely. Last time, it only yielded 44% charge.
    But the battery charges up in its external charger.

So, buyer beware! 3rd party battery reviews are welcomed.

I find I need at least 3 batteries to last a day's constant shooting. So far, 2 have just made it. Wifi should be switched off (via Airplane Mode) to conserve battery life.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Personally I would advise against charging 3rd party batteries IN the camera . These 3rd party units don't have all the QA that the OEM batteries have so any sort of failure could possibly damage the camera as well. I also charge the Sony battery in the vivitar charger and that seems to work fine.

Also check the mAh capacity of the battery. If its less then the OEM battery that may be an issue as well. The vivitar's I use actually advertise a higher mAh and I get about 90-95%% of the life of the Sony. I got mine from EBAY using this seller. They have them for $10 cheaper than Amazon. Vivitar (NP-FW50) on Ebay

Also I agree that there are probably good and bad batches with these batteries as they are produced very cheaply so you may be rolling the dice on every purchase :-S

• Like Like x 1
  13. pvp_victor

pvp_victor TalkEmount Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    A good $17 NP-FW50 Equivalent Battery : Maximal Power

Sony's NP-FW50 (1020mAH) is what is used in NEX-5R and A6000 as per Google. In Oct 2013, for my NEX-5R, I bought a set of Maximal Power 1150mAH Li-Ion Battery + Wall Charger + Car Charger from an eBay seller power-hut (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NP-FW50-Bat...NEX-6-NEX-7-/290926226957?hash=item43bc8dee0d). Here are my observations:

1. This gets charged thro' the Camera's micro USB portall the way to 100% capacity.
    2. Camera shows Battery % on screen.
    3. If left unused for a month, after fully charging, this $17 battery looses charge by 20-30%.
    4. Both the original and this one are getting charged thro' the wall-charger (holder type).
    5. The charger has indicator light and also cuts-off, after fully charging the Battery.
    6. Charged both batteries 2.5 months' back; they still retain charge (PS: Plenty of workload; I can afford only to look at the Camera nowadays, rather than using it :crying:).
    7. Yet to check the Car-charging mode.
    8. The original retains the charge longer.
    9. I am very much satisfied, considering the price I paid.

@Moderators I'm not sure if I can post a link to Bay. Pls delete the link, if it is not allowed. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pvp_victor

pvp_victor TalkEmount Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    Update on my above post.
    After that post, charged the $17 battery full and stored it away. Checked today and guess what? It is @ 99% after 30 days. Sorry for reporting it wrong.

• Like Like x 1