1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

battery charge?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by BJW, Jan 19, 2013.

1. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    O.K. one question on the NEX-6. How is the camera charged? Does it plug into a wall socket, what is the method?
    Bruce

2. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
  3. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Thanks for your response!
    But I’m wondering why Sony would even consider something as limiting as this? So if I’m in the mountains without computer access I need to purchase an additional charger to plug into the wall socket (yes we have electric) because some Sony engineer thought this was a cleaver idea! But then it is Sony, right.
    Bruce

4. LuvMusic

LuvMusic TalkEmount Regular

Dec 11, 2012
    Chicago area
    I don't have an NEX 6 ( I have a 5N that came with a separate charger), but, I wonder.........

Since the NEX 6 is charging through the USB connector on the computer, that would indicate to me it is using a standard USB charging voltage / current. If this assumption is correct, I would suspect that you could connect the included USB cable to any USB type charger (phone, tablet, etc) and the camera would charge.

For example, I use one USB power brick to charge 2 phones (a Samsung and Blackberry), a tablet (Samsung), a Bluetooth speaker (Jabra) and a Sony Vita. In fact, these also all use micro USB, so, I only carry two cables (so I can charge 2 devices at that same time when I have my laptop fired-up). The only variable I have encountered is how long it takes the device to charge....sometimes my tablet tales a little longer to charge, but, it charges.

If this approach works, it also allows you to use one of the USB backup battery solutions that are out there for charging your battery when you don't have an electrical outlet available. I use one for emergencies....like when flights get delayed and all the electrical outlets in an airport are in use.

In today's tech world USB charging actually gives you more options for charging versus just an outlet. If a flight you are on has a USB port at your seat, you could charge your camera during a flight for example.

If my 5N allowed in camera charging, I'd try it......but.....

Experiment at your own risk, but, I bet it would work.

5. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Hi. My NEX 6 came with an adapter that the USB lead plugs into, which then plugs into the mains. Same principle as an iPhone/iPad charger, if you're familiar with those. Did yours not come with this in the box? :)

6. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Everything is indeed included. Usb cable and adapter. So you need to load the battery via the camera. However, you can not use the camera during loading and that tricky. Therefore, as already mentioned, you can best buy an external charger.

7. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Too bad the Sony batteries are stupid expensive. It's nice to have spares, and I prefer to use brand name stuff, but $80 for a battery? No thanks.

8. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I,ve been using unbranded batteries for a while now in my nex 5 and 6 and no problems at all.

the usb charger is a good idea, I can charge the camera on the road with my Anker storage batttery, also it charges my phones and tablet a superb piece of kit for the money. Here it is on amazon but you can get it a lot cheaper shopping around,i got mines for £26 GBP

Amazon.com: Anker® Astro3 10000mAh Multi-voltage 5V / 9V / 12V 2A External Battery Pack (Dual USB Output plus DC Output) for Samsung Tablets, Netbook, Digital Cameras, DV Recorders, PS Vita, Nexus 7, NDS, NDSL, GoPro; iPhone 5 (Lightning Cable not Pr

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I beg to disagree. While charging the camera is inoperative and even if it was, how do you charge your second battery and use your camera at the same time? The option to charge the battery in-camera would have been nice, if the camera would remain operative, although you'd still have to buy a separate charger to charge a second battery. So no, bad idea.

I ended up buying someone's left-over charger of a NEX-5, and a spare battery for "only" € 70.:mad:

10. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    I think gio is referring to the charger in his link :)

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The original NEX 3 and 5 both came with the wall charger. Sony just cheeped out.

It is nice to have the USB charge option on the go, but I much prefer my wall mounted charger.

12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    A USB charger, meaning that you still need the camera to charge a battery. If I have understood gio correctly, that is. If gio is talking about a charger that can charge the NP-FW50 battery directly from USB without the camera, that would be a good idea indeed.

13. LuvMusic

LuvMusic TalkEmount Regular

Dec 11, 2012
    Chicago area
    Hmmmm....this is a very good idea / thought, especially since I travel from the US to other parts of the world on a regular basis. USB is the most common denominator. I wonder if such an "animal" exists....Google here I come.

14. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I have the wall charger purchased separately, the usb is a good idea because it can be charged from laptops when no other supply is available and also from my portable charger as in this link, ,"there's none so blind as he who will not see" ha ha

click the link below, as I said an invaluable piece of kit,I paid 26 GBP for it

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-voltage-Recorders-Lightning-Sensation-connectors/dp/B005NGKR54

15. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    no you still need the battery in the camera,
    but I'll bet there is some piece of kit out there that can do the job you are asking.

16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I was ranting a bit, sorry. The USB charger is a nice alternative to the mains-powered charger supplied with the NEX-6. The fact that you have to charge the battery in-camera when you use the NEX-6 as delivered is one of my many gripes with the NEX-6, its superb imagery notwithstanding.

17. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Orange, are you saying an adapter is part of the package which allows charging the battery in the camera using the wall outlet of the house?
    And I haven’t purchased the camera because of this antiquated Sony system having been told I need to use the computer for this. Can I afford the additional cost of buying a charger and battery on line, certainly but why should I have to? An additional battery I think is probably a necessary item but that should be my choice, not Sony’s. It’s another Beta system of recording that that was such a huge success years ago. Oh, that’s right, it became obsolete within a year or two.
    Bruce

18. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    YEP! Mine (UK model) came with the USB lead (that you use to connect to your computer) which can then be plugged into an adapter (supplied) which has a wall plug on the other end. (battery still has to be in-camera though)
    :)

19. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Many thanks for the quick answer, Orange!
    I just may buy one in that case. Frequently am out of touch with a computer to use for charging.
    Bruce

20. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    But double check first, it may well be different in the US! Often the "in the box" spec can vary from region to region. :)