Batis Telephoto coming "in days"

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by firemist, Feb 22, 2017.

1. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    So the rumors say, with high probability.

135mm ?
    f1.8 or f2.8?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I think there will be a 135mm, and I'm guessing f/2. But, there's been a lot going on.

The Batis lenses provide stellar image quality, they're weather sealed, light, and a size match for the A-series cameras. They are perfect for anyone on the move like wedding and travel photographers. But, some Sony A-series photographers (like portrait photographers) have begun to lust after faster primes and Sony has begun answering the call with their 85mm f/1.4 and 70-200mm f/2.8.

Will Zeiss shift it's Batis direction to go after speed? I don't think so. Zeiss seems to be able to sell every Batis lens they make with the line they've followed; so I don't think they will be interested in going head-to-head with Sony doing speed-demons. I think 2.8 might be a little too slow, so I'm guessing 2.0.

3. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Bill,

Yes I have the 25 and 85, might be tempted to add the 135 if that's what it turns out to be. Whatever the maximum aperture, I hope it takes no bigger than 77mm filters, unlike the new Sigma that is 82mm.

4. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Firemist,

I had the 85mm Batis but sold it and bought the Sigma 85mm f/1.4. I went to the Sigma 85 because of my earlier satisfaction with the Sigma 24 f/1.4 -- even before the DXOmark test and the dpreview rating of the Sigma 85. Here in Australia the Sigmas are half the price of the Zeiss lenses. I find that the Sigma MC-11 makes the Sigmas Arts operate like native glass. If I was going to carry the lenses around to any significant extent, I would opt for the lighter, smaller and weather sealed Batis line. The Sigmas are big and heavy.

I have an order in for the new Sigma 135mm, f/1.8.

5. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Bill,
    Wow, big price difference in Australia. I saw a very blurry image of the rumored new Batis, some people say it looks like a 135/2.8 since it appears to be no larger than the 85 Batis. Supposed to be shown in late March at some photo show in Birmingham UK.

6. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Firemist,

It does look like it will be f/2.8. That surprises me a bit, but it will keep the size to manageable proportions.

When I'm just walking around I only take the Loxia 50mm f/2.0 -- a favourite for me. A 135mm, on the other hand, isn't a "walking around" lens, so I'm happy to go with the Sigma for the f/1.8. I would be nice if the Sigma 135 is anything like the 85mm.

7. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Bill, does "Eye AF" work on the Sigma 85 + MC-11 combo on the Sony A7ii/Rii ?

8. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Mus,

Yup. The eye auto focus works with the Sigma 85mm Art (the Canon mount version, using the MC-11), on both my A7rii and A7ii.

The Sigma 85, however, isn't lightening in the focus department, but my Batis wasn't setting any records either. I find that the 85/MC-11 is fast enough for portrait work.

What sold me on the MC-11 is that it just seems to make the Sigmas work like native Sonys. I did, however, have to do a firmware update on the MC-11s for them to work with the 85, but the USB cable is included with the MC-11 and the Sigma software is free and easy to use.

I expected to have had a chance to give it a workout this weekend but circumstances kept me doing other things. Ah, well.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Thanks Bill. Am thinking of pulling the trigger on the 35 Art + MC-11 first. And probably the 85 Art when funds permit.

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Imho and not to sound like I'm telling you what to do, but the cost of the 35 art + adapter comes very close to the cost of the zeiss 35 1.4... And yes, the adapter stays for future lenses but the knew FE 85mm looks very promising and is "affordable".

11. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    No worries Nick.

But there's an offer here in my part of the world, The 35 Art + MC-11 combo is about 40% less than the Zeiss FE35/1.4. And the well documented problem of getting a sharp copy of the FE35 isn't helping much. The dealers' policy on returns here are not that good either. Sigh...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Nick,

I wish that Amazon or B&H or Adorama shipped Sony lenses to Australia. Sadly, they don't.

Here in Australia the Sony 35mm f/1.4 costs AUS$2244.00 (The RRP is AUS$2499.00), while the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art costs AUS$899.00.

The Sony 85mm f/1.4 is AUS$2799.00, while the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art is AUS$1349.00 -- less than half the price.

• Wow Wow x 3
  13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I understand you :)

Amazon doesn't ship to AUS??? :eek-30: That I did not know sorry - sucks :(

I was talking about the new FE 85mm 1.8 not the GM - off course the GM would be more expensive ;)

14. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I can buy books from Amazon and plenty of other things, but it appears that various manufacturers prohibit Amazon from selling their products overseas.

BTW I've seen an Australian pre-order price for the new Sony 85mm f/1.8 of AUS$899.00. That's not too bad considering the Zeiss Batis 85 is AUS$2012.00.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
  16. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    135mm is exactly what I was hoping for. f/2.8 is fine for me, in fact I like f/2.8.

However, $2000 is simply way beyond my budget.

So, competitors, 135mm remains available for you offer us a great option...

17. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I think the price is crazy. For a few shekels more you can get the 70-200 2.8 G. Maybe if it was f/1.8 or even f/2.

• Agree Agree x 2