Batis 25 OLED

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by chalkdust, Dec 2, 2015.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    On a recent cruise, I enjoyed becoming accustomed to the new Batis 25mm lens. One feature of this lens is a precision display of focus distance and minimum and maximum focus distance. In the example below (not a great image artistically) I used the aperture dial on the camera and the OLED on the lens to set the minimum and maximum distance I wanted, then put the camera to my eye to confirm an acceptable shutter speed (I tend to use aperture priority nearly always), then framed, then released the shutter. In other words, "manual" focus was done without looking through the viewfinder. The process took less than 30 seconds and was entirely handheld. The resulting single image is exactly what I intended.

I believe that this new, precision OLED display is revolutionary. With any other lens, this would have required a lot of guessing how to interpret a crude depth of field scale, multiple exposures at various apertures, and a bit of luck.
    rope _sea_ship.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Actually ZEISS says that the figures are not precise, they are just an indication. So I use the OLED as I would use older depth of field scales on lenses, as an approximation for hyperfocal distance at a given aperture for landscape shooting.

3. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I also do not claim that they are accurate. But they are precise. On standard lens there tend to be very few distance markings. For example, I have one here that has fairly evenly spaced "1 1.2 1.5 2 3 5 infinity" meters. That is not much precision. I also understand that "in focus" to "out of focus" is a rather gentle boundary.

Further, I notice when I read a focus distance on the OLED after autofocus (I have set my Batis to display OLED on both MF and AF) the lens/camera estimates distance much better than I can guess, even though it is not accurate enough to measure for construction purposes.

When combined with the fact that the values displayed on the OLED take into account sensor size and resolution, I believe that this display is a significant step forward in photographic technology.

Also, I have not trained myself to think in meters. I estimate distances in feet and the OLED supports that. So it offers me the most useful distance information I have ever obtained from any lens.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very sharp lens :)