"Basic" weather sealing / shock proofness of NEX lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Poki, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Does anybody know how much a modern E-Mount lens can withstand? I mean: Is it a problem when it's raining, when some sand is in the air (of course while using a filter to protect the front lens) or when dropping the lens?

I recently dropped my 24mm lens (well, actually the camera strap flew apart ...), and it shows some damage on the lens barrel. The lens hood was sent in to service it (broken out of box), so no protection on the lens construction other than a filter. Could this damage the lenses inside or set them out of place? In my case, luckily, everything seems okay, but with how much damage can such a lens deal?
  2. Halka

Halka TalkEmount Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    Ľubomír Brindza
    I've managed to drop my NEX-5 with a SEL1855 mounted on it face-first on concrete from about 1.2m height (~4ft?).

The UV filter shattered, filter ring remained stuck on the front and there is a ~2mm wide dent in the lens barrel (thank god it's not made of plastic). The lens works as great as it ever did.

So, bumps are OK, but I'm not so sure about moisture/dust. Probably just better to keep it in the bag during a (sand)storm :)
  3. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Get a strap put on your nex ASAP! Got myself an octopus, it's great.
  4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Wow, that's more than OK! I'd hardly call a 4 foot drop on to concrete just a bump. :) A real heavy camera may have shattered...

I've seen people wrap cameras in clear re-sealable plastic bags with a cut hole at the front of the lens, sealed with a rubberband around the lens filter ring. Not so sure how easy it would be to manage with a NEX with all its little buttons...
  5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    The owner of the camera store where I bought my 19mm Sigma dropped the case with the lens in it as he took it off the shelf to show me. It ended up functioning just fine, although he said if it developed any issues to bring it back and he'd take care of it. My wife dropped my dad's old Canon IVSB while we were up in Canada. I had to take several deep breaths, but it appears to be fine.

I sort of did the bag trick while on the Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls. I left the bottom open and stuck my hand in the bag with another band sealing it to my wrist. The bag ended up getting a whole lot of condensation on the inside as my body heat was warmer than the outside temperature. Thinking about it now, I should have just closed the bag and tried to work the buttons from the outside.
  6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I never thought about it before, but I might just grab a cheap re-sealable plastic bag and a rubberband and tuck it in my camera bag just in case...
  7. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    I've tried this a couple of times, and you can pretty much operate the camera buttons through the bag. exceptionally easy if you are shooting in the auto modes. Not very sure if it can handle light rain or even mist with just a bag though
  8. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    I've taken the 18-55 APSC kit lens out in pouring rain, windy deserts and snowy mountains. Haven't had any issues yet.
  9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Wow! This is good to know and you are brave.

I am reluctant to do take my camera out in a drizzle. The other day, I saw this large turkey vulture gliding majestically in circular motion around 20 to 30 feet above ground. It was a steady drizzle. I had never seen a bird that large outside of the zoo. I had my 55-210 in the car. The bird seem to be waiting for its photo shoot, but in the end I chickened out.:frown: I couldn't do it. My experience has been that water and electronics don't mix.
  10. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    wow, you are brave. Did you protect them in any way, like covering the cam or part of the lens in a plastic bag? or did you just take it straight out like one would a weather sealed camera? Also what duration were they out in the rain? did water splash directly on the camera?

sorry for all the questions but I really need to understand the conditions that my NEX6 can handle and what will cause it to die
  11. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    No protection at all. My NEX-7's been out in heavy rain for about 30 minutes or more with rain directly hitting it. Please don't try it on my recommendation though, wouldn't want to be responsible for a broken NEX! Although it's been wet enough before that taking it into a warm room made the sensor steam up.
  12. watchin

watchin TalkEmount Rookie

Gallon zip lock bag with broccoli rubber band should be in every camera bag. I usually carry 2 one for camera & one for flash . Old wedding photographers trick!
    If all else fails you take home a slice of wedding cake ; <)
    Ps work buttons through the bag & packet of silica don't hurt.

watchin...aka Greg
    just watchin the world go by, trying to get a good picture.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    30 min of direct rain ... .thats proper weather sealed in my book. I'm pretty sure i dont' have the guts to try that out with my NEX 6 :)
  14. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I did have my NEX 6 out in some pretty heavy snow fall for about 20 - 30 minutes without additional protection (just normal blocking of some snow with my body but not very effective) and it handled things just fine!

I have been surprised with how well most of my digital camera gear has been able to hold up in wet weather conditions. I have just needed to trust it! The beach is a different story for me though, that is where I get too nervous ;-)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    I have used my nex 5n in rain and no issues, lens and body covered in droplets :eek:. No issues. I carry a clear shower cap after a youtube recommendation as it has a built in rubber band bit! but rarely use it. I live in Ireland and it rains pretty much every day, all my electronics get rain on them and never had an issue.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    I've used my gear in drizzles, gotten water droplets on it. However anything involving water quantities more than a glassful and i chicken out

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2