Bag(s) for NEX 6

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jazzer, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Please don't shoot me. I'm sure the question gets asked often, but I am having a difficult time finding a bag that I like for the NEX 6. Ideally I probably would like two. One that is minimalist for the camera with the kit or other short lens and a couple of essentials like an extra battery and SD card, just as a grab and go if I am going out. The other, and the one I am having more trouble with is a shoulder bag for going out for the day to carry the camera and a couple of lenses, a filter or two, extra batteries, wallet, keys, phone, etc. and, possibly, room for an iPad and bottle of water. I would like the bag to still be light and prefer that it be relatively thin (I have seen some bags that look good but are very boxy and don't hang on the body well) and not too deep (I hate stacking things and having to go diving into the bag for stuff at the bottom :)).

It may be that I am eventually going to have to buy several bags for different situations. What are you using?
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Several bags for different situations. ;)

My "stealth/street shooter" bag is the Taylor Flashpoint from Eagle Creek. It's fairly roomy, water-resistant, can carry the NEX-6, a few small lenses and accessories, a Joby Gorillapod, and my iPad. Main advantage: it doesn't look like a camera bag.

For more "photography-oriented" work, I use Acme Union Photo Messenger. It's roomy, fairly water-proof, and versatile. I can carry the NEX-6, more lenses and accessories, my iPad, and I can attach my Velbon UT 43D lightweight travel tripod to the strap.

For travel, I use the LowePro SlingShot 102AW. That one allows me to carry everything, is waterproof (with a built-in cover), and because it's a sling bag, leaves my hands free for urban combat against pickpockets.

Then I have the odd, assorted hip bags and such for just the NEX-6 and attached lens.

My name is David, and I'm a bag whore. :rolleyes:
  3. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I'm using two...a Timbuk2 Snoop size small for the full kit and a Crumpler 4 million dollar home for a on the go kit. Both are excellent bags. I keep meaning to do a mini-review on the Snoop, I'll get to it soon.
  4. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    I use a Lowepro Messenger 150 for my NEX-7, four lenses (10-18, 18-55, 50, 55-210), flash (HVL-43AM), small tripod (tabletop) and some small items like battery, lenspen, flashlight etc. It suites me but I have to stack lenses. The 55-210 is standing alone in its owe compartment. The 50mm is underneath the camera with mounted 18-55 in the middle compartment with part of the camerabody over the 55-210 and the 10-18mm is above the flash. The tabletop tripod is in a small compartment at one end.

What I like with the bag is that it is fairly thin and not protruding to much from my body when carried.

I have posted some pics here:
  5. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Thanks guys. That's very helpful.

David, I like the look of the first two bags. With the Eagle Creek bag, is there any protection or padding?

Chad, I actually have the Timbuk2 XS camera insert that I have used from time to time with a messenger bag (not Timbuk2). It's not too bad and maybe if I got a couple of extra velcro separators I could better customize the inside. Oddly, I ordered a Timbuk2 extra small messenger bag several months ago, but wound up returning it because the insert didn't fit very well (although it was supposed to) and was a bit of a pain because of the zip top. It may be because the bag was an XS and not a little larger. I don't think the insert for the XS snoop camera bag has a zipped top, unlike some of the others.

Michael, maybe I need to look at that Messenger 150 again. I remember seeing the dimensions on the website and thinking it looked a little thick.
  6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Some, perhaps 1/8" thick. It's not as protective of delicate camera gear as a "real" camera bag is.
  7. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Have a look at the Domke range of messenger style bags. I've got an F-803 rugged wear model which carries both Fuji X and NEX cameras and lenses easily. The thing I like about Domke is that they aren't bulky. I hate bulky, overly padded camera bags!

I have also got some Billingham bags, but the Domke is the only one that gets used.
  8. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Thanks. Also, does the Lowepro Slingshot have room for an iPad?
  9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Mine doesn't, but they make two larger ones that might have room.
  10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    An iPad will fit, after a fashion in a 200 series SlingShot bag. I'd advise a hard iPad screen cover of some type. And it really isn't made to carry one so it just sort of sits on top of the separator panels.

No idea why the forum software flipped that second pic upside down...
  11. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    I use the Domke F-8 (the smaller bag - shown) for just walking around, and the F-3X (the bigger) when I need to take more. The F-8 is soft, which is important if you're carrying it around all day, but still protective. It will hold, for example, the 6 with the 35mm on it, the 10-18mm and the 50mm -- and a couple of batteries, extra SDs, etc.

It's just big enough to bring to the front as a platform for a lens change.

It does, however, look like a camera bag. But as I usually have my camera in my hand with a wrist strap most of the time, it wouldn't be much of a leap to figure that out.
  12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I had the same trouble until recently...

As a Minolta fan, my first bag for my Nex (5) was a small Minolta gadget bag (shoulder) that I loved.

1) as the lens collection got bigger, space was an issue and
    2) it was a very "camera" type bag (something I wanted to avoid since I carry my Nex with me every single day with me)

So while I was searching for my perfect bag, I stumbled upon the Think Tank brand - and from the moment I saw the Retrospective series I fell in love with it!!!

Had some trouble acquiring one (but that's a different story) but finally I have one for about one month now!!!

The quality (and material wise) of the ThinkTank bags is noticable - you can definately see and feel it as soon as you have one in your hands
    I'm really impressed with it, so for me I think the price (which is on the expensive side) is 100% justified

The desing is amazing IMHO. Small, casual, stylish, district and doesn't scream "camera bag", lightweight, easy to carry around everyday (the shoulder strap with the pad is so comfortable that I can carry it on me for hours and not feel the weight of the equipment inside!!!), love the pinestone colour, a really well thought bag

Here's a few pics:

My cons:
    1) regarding space: they say its for Mirrorless and they claim that it'll fit 4-6 lenses along with the camera - very optimistic if you ask me...
    Space was the reason I changed my Minolta bag, that I could fit my Nex-5 with the MD 35-70 mounted, an 18-55mm, the 16mm pancake, and the MD 50mm (with just a front outside pocket for memory cards, extra battery, keys etc). I was hoping to fit atleast 2 more lenses inside the Retrospective 5...Well, it now fits my Nex-5 with the 35-70 mounted, the 18-55, the 16mm, the MD 50mm and the MD 135mm but no more unfortunately (I tried several methods with the dividers). I reckon could have always gone for the next in size (Retrospective 7 - would be ideal for you since you mention you'd like to carry also your Ipad - has a special place for it) but I wanted the smallest available and to be honest I haven't regret my choice. I reckon making a small bag that'd fit many lenses is not possible

2) regarding design: While the bag is slim/thin as soon as you close the cover it becomes a little more round shape, "boxy" like

3) The main compartment doesn't zip closes...
    (which can be also good cause it means that you have direct access to the camera faster)

4) There are lots of pockets - maybe a few too many, some of them are a bit useless if you ask me and I can see it could gain some useful internal space in the center main pocket without them...

Hope this helps ;)
  13. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Thanks everyone. Very helpful to me to see what others are using.

I ordered the Eagle Creek bag that Dave mentioned because I know I need a small day bag like that and even if I don't use it for my camera I think it will be quite useful as a travel and for every day use. The added advantage is free return shipping if I decide it's not for me :)

I have a small Panasonic bag that isn't much of anything but came with my superzoom several years ago and a Timbuk2 bag insert that I can put inside a messenger bag that I have. The former will hold the NEX 6 with a small lens and extra battery, cards, etc. The latter has 3 compartments for camera and lenses and the messenger bag can hold all kinds of other stuff. These aren't ideal, but I think I may use them for a while and when I have a better idea of what I feel is lacking, then I can see which of the options everyone has suggested might work best for me.

It seems there is no perfect bag ... Or anything else for that matter :)
  14. gmutt26

gmutt26 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    Any ideas for a bag for nex6 with 18200
  15. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Do you use the Lowepro Slingshot for hiking at all? If so, how comfortable is it and how much do you usually carry in it? I think for a day trip walking around and light hiking a sling style bag may work better for me than a messenger bag. I am looking at the slingshot or this Tamrac

I really like the mesh pocket for a bottle of water, but it doesn't seem to have a waist (or chest) strap the way the slingshot does to secure the bag. I also think the slingshot is bigger (which may not matter for me) and I like the fact that it has a built in weather cover.

16. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Not for a 6 but I've recently bought a Lowepro Event Messenger 100 for my 3 + kit:

17. Sabre36

Sabre36 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2012
    I have a Nex-7 with three lenses: 24mm, 35mm, and an adapted 50mm - as well as a few odds & ends like batteries, filters, lens cleaners, etc. I have been looking for years for a smallish, everyday backpack that would also hold a lightweight rain coat, fleece, an iPad, not weigh a ton, and be useful around town, in a plane, or on a trail. I've tried LowePro, Clik Elite, and a larger F-Stop pack - I returned these or gave them away. I've also tried sticking my camera in smaller bags within a small Osprey day pack (an acceptable solution but one where lenses and gear gets lost in the pack's bottom).

After months of waiting for the pack to become in stock, I have finally have one that fits my purposes - an F-Stop Guru with a small ICU. Yes, it is overpriced and absurdly hard to purchase (it is always out of stock). But it does what I want, is well made, and is small enough where I can grab it and it has all my stuff ready to go. Having come back recently from Europe, I am started to understanding why rear-opening packs are useful - pick pockets in subway and train stations are fairly common in my direct experience, so this will be a nice feature. That said, I do find that I still take the Osprey for serious hiking, but for everything else, the Guru is a great choice.
  18. Eddie

Eddie TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 17, 2013
    Vanguard 2GO 22 works great for my NEX-6, 18-55, 55-210
    Enough space for extra battery, charger, smart phone and etc....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TalkNEX mobile app
  19. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    I just ordered the Domke F-5XB for my small, carry around bag:

For my big travel bag, I got this BBK4 from ebay to hold my camera/lenses plus my Chromebook Pixel and Nexus 10 tablet:

Domke F-5XB from Amazon

BBK4 Bag from Amazon
  20. millonario

millonario TalkEmount Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    I have a lowepro passport sling. It is great. The padded section fits the nex6 body with 1650 kit lens attatched, 16mm pancake and fisheye adapter as well as the 55-210mm zoom. Then there is still room for my ereader, phone, wallet, over ear headphones, a windcheater and a bottle. It is not a huge bag by any stretch of the imagination. Its quite compact and the outside is slash proof i believe. I use it for travelling. No complaints. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TalkNEX mobile app