1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bad idea to claim a lower value for an item when shipping?

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by shaolin95, Aug 21, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello!
    So I am selling the A7ii and a buyer from Headfi is interested but as he is in Canada he is asking me to claim only a $50 value as he says the taxes are really high there and that he will assume any responsibility.
    So far his ebay, heatware and headfi accounts are checking out as he was able to contact me from all of them.
    What do you think?

2. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    i would not do this for two reasons. First it is dishonest and second, if it is lost by the usps, canada post or any other shipper, all will question why you put insrance on it, higher than it claimed value.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    As a seller I wouldnt do it, cause if damage occurs during shipping, you will mot get covered for the real amount...one the other hand if you know the buyer and trust him...

4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    So even though he claims he will be the one taking the risk, how do I get that in a way that if it comes to that point, I wont end up losing my money? I guess that is my concern. He has good feedback buying expensive stuff at headfi though.

5. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Exactly

6. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    No, No, NO! The risk will be yours. My son got burned on a car years ago by the seller not claiming the actual value for state taxes. The car was checked after the fact and found not to be street legal. The only money he regained was the junk price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Well I am the seller in this case but yeah I dont see how I can legally make sure that HE will be taking responsibility if anything happens to the camera during the shipping so i told him I was not able to do it. For the current price with so little actuations, it wont take long to sell and I am not in a hurry. :)

8. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    So an update. I called Paypal and she told me that as long as I send him an invoice and put the notes there that he is accepting the risk of no insurance on the shipping etc very clearly, he wouldnt be able to try fighting for a refund with them afterwards.
    Do you guys see any possible issues even with this?

9. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I've got to ask, why are you selling it?
    Didn't you just get it?

10. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    This is a second one I purchased form a local seller with the FE 55mm 1.8 but as my wife is for sure not getting into photography then I will just keep the lens (unless I sell the lens to get a Mitakon .95 lol)

11. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I see. Thanks for the explanation.
    I was worried you ended up not liking the camera for some reason.
    Wish I was ready to pull the trigger on one, but I may be looking at a lens turbo if I can figure out how they work and if I could just use one for all my adapted lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh yeah no way :D
    I love this camera like crazy. Just seeing those FD lenses with the IBS is a thing of beauty and maybe is just in my mind but somehow every color it grabs just looks amazing as much as I loved my NEX-6 with LT2 adapter, the A7ii just put my photography passion on another level. lol

13. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh yeah no way :D
    I love this camera like crazy. Just seeing those FD lenses with the IBS is a thing of beauty and maybe is just in my mind but somehow every color it grabs just looks amazing as much as I loved my NEX-6 with LT2 adapter, the A7ii just put my photography passion on another level. lol

14. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    IMO it still sounds illegal (not sure though), but since PayPal said its ok from their part....
    Still, If you're planning to send via post office, isn't the post office the one that you should ask for the insurance claim if something goes wrong?

15. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    From where I see it my concern was mostly him trying to contact Paypal to ask for a refund putting the blame on me for no insurance or something like that. On the part of the postal Office since I will be claiming $50 there is really nothing we can claim from them if it gets damaged so like I told him, it is unlikely to happen but if it does, you know you just threw away almost $1400. :)

16. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, I understand the PayPal part and it looks like you're covered for that ;) but the above is exactly where I was getting at: let's say the post office messes up with the package (and damages the camera in the end), then you will be only legally able to claim $50 instead of the real value... But if YOU are ok with it and willing to risk it then... :)

17. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    That is the part where I am a bit confused when you say if I am willing to risk it. Since I have been paid for the camera buy the buyer and he is the one accepting the risk then I dont see what I am risking personally. I got the money and he is the one taking the chance on the shipping of the item and only being able to get $50 if something goes wrong. Does that make sense? I am sleepy so maybe I am not very clear right now :D

18. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Makes perfect sense now :) Sorry I guess I misunderstood you ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. jade_monkey07

jade_monkey07 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 24, 2013
    Iv done it on both ends of a sale. I wouldn't worry about It as you are the seller.

• Like Like x 1
  20. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks I was not sure if I was maybe missing something :D
    Thanks for the feedback plus I just realized since I had the option to pay with fees or gift, he is doing Gift to save some money so even that already prevents him from being able to claim anything so I feel pretty good about the deal. Plus I got good feedback from people he bought from at headfi. :)