1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Backup photos. What are the solutions available?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alaios, Sep 26, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi everyone,
    I have just returned from 3 weeks of vacations with great memories and photos (I promise to share some when I find the time in the next two weeks, I have a deadline next week).

I am using smugmug as a tool for backing up my jpeg files but now I also need a solution for backing up raw files. I wanted to ask what solutions are there for storing raw photos that I consider as highly important...(two weddings and christening of my daughter)

-Buy external hard disk.. Well I had problems in the past either with the unit failing, or some times the filesystem can get corrupted... I would not trust just a single hard disk for that.
    -Use online service. SmugVault or amazon one... but if I understand it right these companies might even close, get bankrupt thus losing all my backups.

I guess the ideal would be somehow combine two different ways of backing up all those raw files.

How do you think I should plan for that?

R.
    Alex

2. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    RAW files are particularly difficult because they can't simply be placed on a photography site.

My new DNGs go onto my computer and the RAW files and the DNGs go onto an external hard drive. Then, once and a while, the external hard drive gets copied onto another external that I take off site. It sounds more difficult than it is: Lightroom and my backup software do everything except get it off site.

Keep in mind that all this is still temporary. If you really want to keep it -- print it.

3. watchin

watchin TalkEmount Rookie

I have always used cd/DVDs. They don't crash,
    They don't get corrupted and as long as you keep them away from heat, pets, and children they last forever ( so far). Don't use RWs they get Alzheimer's .

Indexing is a bit of a pain.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    There is no 100% safe solution. Alex. Hard drives fail, companies go belly up, meteorites fall from space. So I have multiple backups to lengthen the odds for me: an "always on" constant backup disk that backs everything up as I go. Another hard disk that backs everything up automatically overnight, and another disk that I keep in a small, fireproof safe that I pull out occasionally to refresh. Still, come the apocalypse...

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The most comfortable safe solution is a RAID system. Pretty safe, huge amounts of storage, fast and not that expensive.

6. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    I use crashplan because 1) unlimited storage 2) they will send you a flash drive if you have backed up a lot and don't want to wait for it to download. Oh and 3) it's $50 or so a year.

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex

yes that is indeed true.. but we are kind of lazy I guess on that...

I was also thinking of burning to dvd's but I would here need a program for doing that (give a folder of 80gb for example and split it us as it needs to many discks)...
    Have you also tried double layer dvds they seem to be as cheap as the single layer.

I was thinking that one external disk for my photos. Dvd copies (yes indexing would be a pain) and online uploading in smugmug are quite okay for my needs.

8. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive etc - with these days of unlimited data plans why not stick them in the cloud. Google or Microsoft go out of business ? Not likely :)

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    They do get corrupted. There is disc rot where it literally looks like something is growing on the recording surface. A burned CD/DVD is not the same as a printed CD/DVD. The dye used in writable CD/DVDs will fade over time. A RW disc faster than a write once. Also the polycarb that makes up the disc will shrink over time rendering it unusable.

It's all variable. I've had burned CDs out in the car in the hot sun for 15 years that are still going strong. I've had burned DVDs in a drawer that have only lasted 6 months before becoming unreadable. Something less dense, a CD, will last longer than something more dense, a DVD. I've lost enough writable CD/DVDs over the years to consider it only temporary storage. I do have some old 12" magneto optical glass discs that are rated for 500 years that are archival quality. They are still going strong.

The other problem with CD/DVDs is you need a lot of them. I've settled on using hard disks for my backups. It's more convenient, cheaper and faster than other solutions. Hard disks are cheap. A 2TB disc holds the same amount of data as about 285 DVDs. It's cheaper than 285 quality DVDs, faster and takes up less space. Hard disk can last a long time. I have drives that are 25 years old that still work. Although, having lost a hard disk or two over the decades, I do keep more than one copy. Not just as a media backup but as a physical backup in case of fire or theft.

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Two reasons. One, it's slow. Two, privacy concerns. Read the agreement you make with those sites.

Because of those reasons, I consider online backup as online sharing. It's only for select photos I want to share with other people.

11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Exactly. Just buy a Drobo for Backup.

12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I bet that's what they said about Kodak (and soon) RIM. :rolleyes:

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    just curious how big your hard disks are for your backups??

Regards
    Alex