Back to Sony

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by JohnNV, Jul 14, 2014.

1. JohnNV

JohnNV New to TalkEmount

Jul 13, 2014
    Northern Nevada
    Hello all, been lurking the board for a while, just decided to join.

My first DSLR was a Canon XS, with the standard 18-55 kit lens, and a 75-300 lens. It was fine. I enjoyed it for many years, then I decided I wanted something new.

I bought a Sony NEX-5r, and jumped in to something new. I got it with the 18-55 and the 55-210. It was fun, and took great pics. I bought the external viewfinder because I didn't like the rear screen. I took some decent pics, I think.

Then it happened, a member on another forum introduced me to legacy lenses. That really opened things up. My first one was a Rokkor-X 50mm 1.4. I had a few others but can't remember which ones.

Anyways, the external viewfinder was kind of a pain, taking it off and putting it on, so I sold everything, and bought a Canon T4i.

The T4i is a nice camera. The lenses I had were mediocre, of course. Entry glass. I took pictures, but the pics just didn't pop likes the ones I took with the Sony. The T4i was boring. Looked into adapting lenses, not as easy as the Sony. Time to sell the Canon.

So now, I wait. I have a Sony A6000 in the hands of UPS that should be arriving tomorrow. While I have been waiting, I started ordering lenses. Maybe too many lenses....lol

So far I have:

Sony 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6
    Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6
    These are coming with the camera

Then my legacy lenses:

Minolta Rokkor-X 50mm 1:1.4
    Minolta Rokkor-X 45mm 1:2
    Minolta Rokkor-X 100-200mm F5.6 - on it's way
    Canon 135mm 1:2.8 - might switch this one out to a Rokkor-X 135mm, to keep things static. It was a impulse buy....lol
    Samyang 500mm 1:8.0 Mirror Lens - this one is just to play with, not expecting huge things from it.

So I am back to Sony and can't wait for my new camera to get here.

I am in Northern Nevada, so lots to take pictures of.

Just wanted to introduce myself.

• Like Like x 5
  2. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks John...Welcome Back! :)

I myself is in the same shoes as you are...except that I originally came from Nikon and picked up the Sony A6000 a few months ago.
    Now I find myself leaving the Nikon and only using the Sony.

I have been building up my collection of e-mount lenses and have not ventured into legacy lenses...yet.
    I did purchase the Fotodiox Pro Nik - NEX lens adapter, so I can use my Nikon lenses.
    Manual focusing isn't my strong side.

I'm a bit confused about keeping the Nikon and I just listed it on Craigslist to see if it sells.

Thanks again for sharing your story with us.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome, John! Northern Nevada, eh? Some of my favorite photos come from that part of the country. I'm looking forward to seeing some of yours. :cool:

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome back

5. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Welcome back to Sony!

6. JohnNV

JohnNV New to TalkEmount

Jul 13, 2014
    Northern Nevada
    Thanks for the welcome. Somehow during the course of the day a Minolta Rokkor-X 28mm 2.8 decided to join my collection.

I may be sick.....lol

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 2
  7. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    Nice. Welcome!

I've used one of these. You will need a seriously heavy, rock-steady tripod, a remote shutter release, and a hell of a lot of patience, but it'll take some downright decent pictures. Good for getting your feet wet with wide field astrophotography. I've also heard of people mounting these on gigapans and stitching super high res photos with them.

I'm not kidding about the heavy tripod either. Any kind of minor vibrations will ruin your shots and drive you nuts.

• Like Like x 1