1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Back to adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jun 26, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    For the past several months I have been shooting Fuji XE1 after years using a NEX 5n and only adapted lenses. Prior to that I shot m43 (both but I tended to favor Panasonic). During that time i have used the best native lenses I could afford. I shot with the Panasonic P20/1.7, PL25/1.4 and PL45/2.8 on m43 and recently the much loved Fuji XF35/1.4. Of the lot the Fuji is IMHO the best by a good margin. That said, I am coming back to Sony. I picked up a demo NEX 5T and I'm excited to get back to shooting my Minolta adapted glass. I have never quite like shooting native glass and the XF35 didn't do much to change that opinion. It's a fine lens to be sure. Probably the best I have ever used but there is a certain quality I get from my adapted glass that no native lens I have ever used can replace.

I have always felt that the Minolta glass matched up well with the Sony sensor and The Fuji doesn't support the use of adapted lenses all that well. That's not to say that you can't use them but it is far simpler and more fun on the Sony. The main reason however is that I really like to shoot BW and so far I find it hard to get the look I am wanting on the Fuji. The camera does many things well and I think Sony could really learn a thing or to about UI design and placement of controls (and yes, that includes the a6000) and the Fuji is a lot better in low light, but I have not been able to get the kinds of images I want from it.

Here are a couple of BW from last Summer that I got with my NEX 5n (adapted Minolta 50/1.4 and MC 100/2.5...as JPEGs no less). Even shooting WITH the Fuji XF35 and using RAW I feel that something is missing. I can't put my finger on what exactly but something is off. Color is another matter. The Fuji is very impressive in that respect but I like BW so...

14055339686_7dfbf0cc6a_b.
    Grace
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

8434891698_236e4fd240_b.
    Mick Who?
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

I'm keeping the Fuji. It's an excellent camera and does some things extraordinarily well. The SOOC color is really nice and when the lets gets dodgy it shines but for BW and in good light I prefer the NEX. I'm also looking forward to getting back to shooting my manual focus Minoltas. It's gonna be a lot of fun...again.

I'm glad to be able to shoot with a Sony body again.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Nice shots.

3. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I really love that first shot. Perfect in every way to my eye ;)

4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Fuji vs. Sony - my favorite topic, lol. We've talked about it, Kevin, in good light I favor the output from my NEX over that from my X-Pro1 by some amount. One factor is the native tonal response (RAW) and my personal preferences - it takes me FAR more time to get what I want from the Fuji files (X-Trans issues notwithstanding) than from the NEX and I process more than 85% of my stuff in B&W too. When it comes to colors I again favor the Sony - Fujis funny film simulations never worked for me either - I've been a Kodak man most of my life. Now if Sony only gave us losless 14bit RAW files I'd take the plunge but keep the X-Pro1.
    Lovely portraits you've got there!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yep, that pretty much sums up what I have experienced. About the only thing that is different is that I quite like the Fuji colors. Ultimately its nice to have choices.

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Interestingly it wasn't something tangible characteristic of image quality that made me want to pick up another Sony body. It was the fact that I just find shooting with the NEX a lot more enjoyable. It may seem odd that a camera that is more computer than camera, is lacking in physical controls and with a UI that has more in common with a smartphone is more fun to shoot than the Fuji but for my purposes it is.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice to see back Kevin and that 1st one is an excellent photo!!!

8. Nexnut

I got your point, Kevin. I'm just back from a walk with the NEX-7 and the 90mm Sonnar and as usual the NEX got out of the way after some moments and everything - framing, exposure settings, focusing, ... just happened by itself like with an old SLR back in the day - the way I like it. It took me a good while longer to shoot the Fuji this way - from the guts - not the head and direct manual focusing (legacy glass) plus excellent focus peaking (or lack thereof) play a huge role in this regard.

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I'm not trying to bash the Fuji (in my case an XE1) it's a fine camera but it just never seems to get out of my way. It allows a ton of direct control which is nice if you need that. I guess I am pretty primitive in the way that I shoot but I set the aperture, let the camera set the shutter speed, I adjust the exposure compensation and I'm done. For me the NEX does that and then fades away. it's fast, small, light and easy to just whip out shoot. I got my 5T yesterday and all it took was about 2 minutes of setting it up and I was ready to go. In fcat, right now I am looking att he XE1 and it's starting to feel like that thing is never gonna get pulled out again.

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The 5T arrived today and I have a couple of immediate impressions (compared the 5n I had before). At first I didn't care for the build quality. It's a plastic body compared to a metal body in the 5n and out of the box it felt too light. After setting up however I am starting to appreciate the fact that it's so light. The actual quality of construction seems just as nice as the 5n just different. The screen that so many folks have groused about because it is not capacitive like the 5n...doesn't strike me as all that different. It seems to work fine. I turned the touch screen off immediately. The same weird Sony UI. I do like the UI on the a6000 better. One area where Sony should take a page out of Fuji's book is UI. NFC is nice but it doesn't work with my iPhone and I'll be interested to try the WiFi but I'll keep it off mostly because of battery drain. Overall the 5T is very comfortable and after using the XE1 for a while it seems positively tiny. It actually is a bit smaller than my son's 5n. Is it just me or is the battery life on the 5T a lot shorter than that of the 5n? A second battery and a screen protector are next up. I tend to prefer using glass screen protectors but that will effectively kill off any chance to use the touch screen and I DO use it every once in a while. It looks like Sony has a screen protector for the 5R/5T that is pretty popular so I'll probably do that.

I'm glad to have it and to celebrate I sold off my Fuji XF35 and replaced it with a lovely MD Rokkor 24/2.8. The funny part is that I traded my MC Rokkor 24/2.8 to get the Fuji XF35. After a few months of using the Fuji 35 (which by the way is a brilliant lens) it re-affirmed what I already knew, I much prefer using adapted lenses and I really missed my 24/2.8.

I had originally planned to keep the XE1 but the more I play with the NEX the less likely that seems.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nexnut

Congrats on the 5T - enjoy it, Kevin. I sure enjoyed my smaller NEXes immensely but as I've said the LCD screens are next to useless under the Canarian sun, I need something with a viewfinder. Regarding old glass I'm still in the process of moving, most of my legacy glass and analog gear is stored away, waiting to be shipped one day. Anyway, I guess I pick up some more old lenses and adapters before I leave; another 24mm (the Konica AR Hexanon is a killer lens but the prices I've seen lately were pretty insane), a 180mm/f2.8 Zeiss for those occasional tele needs and a 12mm Rokinon/Samyang. Let's hope I don't end up with another bunch of lemons.

12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I love the Hexanon 24 but I have had the Hex 24 and Rokkor 24 side by side and they are so close that one is as good as the other in my book (and since the rest of lenses are Minolta, so when I found an absolutely mint MD Rokkor 24 for $199 I jumped on it. I understand about the EVF. Here in the Pacific NW I can make do with just the LCD. Also, the external EVF for the 5T is pretty nice in that it flips up so if i ever feel the need that's an option for me.