1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Back in the Full frame game again.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Kiwi Paul, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I'm back in the full frame game again.
    A month ago I decided I was happy enough with my RX100 Mk6 and A6300 with 10-18, 16-70 and 70-300 lenses.
    I put all my full frame kit up for sale, (A7R2 + several primes and zooms). A lot of it sold but I was fortuitously left with a Voightlander 10mm, 15mm and a Sony 24-70 f4 +the 70-300 that I had decided to keep, a nice range of lenses to be left with.
    With no interest at all in the 10, 15 or 24-70 I had a dilemma as it seemed silly just having them sit about hoping they might eventually sell (I weren't going to sell them for silly money), so either hang on hoping for a sale or get another full frame body and then I'd have a nice kit. So I've just bought a used A72 and now my FF kit is the A72, with CV10, CV15, FE 24-70, 70-300 so a nice set of lenses from hyper wide to telephoto.
    I'll probably put the A6300 and crop lenses up for sale instead.
    So now I have the FF kit and the RX100 Mk6 as a nice little walkabout camera.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    That works! The A7-2 is a sweet camera at current prices.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris

• Funny Funny x 7
  4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Do the CV 10mm and 15mm exhibit the color cast and heavy vignetting on your A7II? I've become spoiled by the BSI-sensor in the A7III. I only put my CV 40mm on the A7II now since my 15mm does much better on the A7III corner-wise. Though I have the M mount versions, I'm presuming you have the Sony mount lenses?

5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I don't know, I'm offshore at the moment and not back until the 14th Aug so have to wait to play with my new toy. I'm not expecting any issues, the lenses worked perfectly on my A7R2, they are the new E-mount versions and had no colour cast or vignetting on that, they are excellent lenses, the IQ is superb.

6. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    The color cast issue only affected the earlier Voigtlander M-mount lenses when mounted to non-BSI bodies. The E mount versions should be okay!

7. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    I think smearing in corners (by the VM series) is a function of the sensor stack thickness, so even if the color cast is gone, I'm not sure about improved sharpness. I had my A7R converted by Kolari for the smearing; color casts can be fixed easily by Adobe Flat Field Filter (if you don't mind converting to DNG). The E-mount lenses I guess were modified from the VM's to adjust for the Sony 1.8mm thick sensor stack.

8. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    I thought the sensor stack thickness issue was only with early A7 series cameras.

9. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    "The Kolari Vision Thin Filter Modification allows the Sony A7-series cameras to deliver on the promise of a modern non-Leica solution for legacy and modern rangefinder lenses. At this time the modification is available for the A7, A7s, A7r, A7 II, A7R II, A7SII, A7R III, and A9."

from their website

10. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    That is interesting. But there no longer seem to be as much chatter about people having it done. In fact I do not recall any discussion of he Kolari modification on any of the ii or III cameras or A9. Perhaps people are no longer so reliant on old rangefinder lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Yep,

I can't imagine anyone buying the A9 for sports getting the camera modified for older RF lenses! Also true for the series 3 A7 bodies - so many good native lenses around now, no real need, unless you really like your older Leica (or CV) lenses.

12. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I've seen a few having it done to version II bodies over on fredmiranda.com. It's always been a pretty niche service, though, in my opinion. There are a lot of great old M-mount lenses that some just plain like to use (including people here) for various reasons. So for the wider angles, it is a nice option to have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Problem is, the native FE lenses performance drops because they were designed for the original sensor stack.

14. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    True That. But what else is the A7R good for lol ?

15. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Don't ask me, I never considered getting an A7R :shakehead:

16. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    The main reason I like M mount lenses is that I can get AF and stay small with the Techart Pro Adapter. By doing so I can have a body+lens combo that's about the same size or more compact than an APS-C or M43 camera.

17. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Beyond lens rendering and size, the other reason I often see cited is that M mount is more portable to other mounts. Not really sure about that, as I believe the flange distance is pretty small so other than Leica (and maybe m4/3) I don't know how easy it actually is to adapt elsewhere.

18. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Some folks are hoping (see Phillip Reeve's website) the new Nikon ML camera will have a short sensor stack to allow the M-lenses to work OK.

19. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    The A7R was fine for me and it is still great for many others and I primarily use native lenses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.