1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Back-Focus on the NEX-7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by ChangshaNotes, Sep 14, 2013.

1. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    So I've been experimenting using back-focusing on the NEX-7 with my AF E-mount lenses. (I don't think any of the other models can do this)

What I've done is set AF on manual. I have the AF/MF button set to AF/MF control on hold. I have one of the Function Settings (the soft button next to the shutter) set to 'Focus Settings'

So when I turn the focus ring, It immediately magnifies for fousing. It stays magnified. If I tap the shutter button it goes back to the normal screen, if I hit the function button I get into function settings and can easily move the focus point around. If I use my thumb on the AF/MF button (while not in magnified screen) the lens auto focuses. I find this much better than DMF mode. The way I hold the camera my thumb always rests on the AF/MF button anyway.

The only issue I have is the set-up is completely useless for manual lenses and so I have to menu dive and exchange AF/MF control for Manual assist everytime I change to a manual lens. However lately my walk around lenses have been the SEL35 on the camera with the Sigma 19.

• Like Like x 3