Babysitting - selp18105g

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by jade_monkey07, May 12, 2014.

1. jade_monkey07

jade_monkey07 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 24, 2013
    I got to play today with sisters munchkins and my new lense. All camera color settings are default. Autofocus wasnt always chosing the right spot for my liking. So shot the day manually. Found out later I needed a firmware upgrade to take advantage of the hybrid af. Which did increase the speed quite a bit.
    Heres a few random shots
    eny3age7.
    4u7ajy9y. http://imgur.com/AanPNVd
    u4ada7u6. nuzy8y4y. http://imgur.com/ErKpeb3
    ehe4ymu4. medune5a.

Last one is terrible but adorable, wouldnt stop trying to touch her nose to the lense. Her parents are photographers for a living so she is far from camera shy lol.

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends

• Like Like x 2
  2. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    I need a better way of posting photos. Between facebook and the tapatalk app theres some quality lost. Oh well gets the point across for now

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends

3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I use photobucket. Most use Flikr, which I just made an account for and am working out if I want to go through the pain of moving my online photo 'cloud' over to, or use in parallel with photobucket (I would use Flikr as more of a high quality best of the best area), or not use Flikr at all!

4. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Flickr is great. You can upload untill 1To of photos and videos. Not bad, especially if you compress your photos. 1600 pixels for the larger side is well enough for a web diffusion.
    500px is also a great photographe network! A bit like Flickr but looks more professionnal.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, posting photos from FB or Tapatalk makes the photo quality very poor...
    I use Flickr as well ;)

Adorable kids btw ;)

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A fun day for all.

Love the bubble shots

7. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    Todays shots
    Better quality. I also added a few direct links to my other favs from yesterday
    fYxlrd3.

Fullsize link for desktops and pixel peepers

http://imgur.com/fYxlrd3

jAj5ePC.

http://imgur.com/jAj5ePC

• Like Like x 2
  8. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The two dog photos are very nice ;)

Curious, do you shoot Jpeg or RAW?

9. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    Jpeg. I dont process much, dont have time or the skill to make it any better than the out of camera jpeg. Those two had vivid colors turned on +1saturation -1 contrast +1 sharpness, Didnt realize till I was home. im trying to shoot 90% manual and default settings.

10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Reason I was asking is because I wanted to know how you find the distortion of this lens (all the reviews I've read about the G 18-105 pointed how bad the distortion is on this lens). Only an issue if you shoot RAW thought since for the jpegs there is a in-camera correction from what I understand :)

It one of the very few E-mount lenses I want to buy but since I shoot RAW only I'm worried about the distortion...

11. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    I heard its bad too. But if you build/download the proper profile it still wouldnt matter in raw. You would just have to apply it to every picture you take lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't know of any standard zoom on any mirrorless platform that does not require a lens profile for Raw. They all require distortion correction. In fact, they are designed to be software corrected. This helps with size, costs, etc. Raw profiles can be automatically applied I'm Lightroom, so the process is seamless.

Nick - I think the lens is great. As long as you shoot JPEG or are comfortable using Lightroom for Raw, distortion is the last thing that should stop you from buying the lens. It is really nice.

I personally love the lens. My only gripe is size and the 72mm filter thread.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

13. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    Lol it is a bit big. But still not as silly looking as the 55-210 is when zoomed in

14. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    If you think the 55210 looks funny alone, slap on the 1.7x Teleconverter like I do and you get comedy central. ;)

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

15. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    What do you mean? I don't think I ever applied lens profile correction when I had the 18-55mm and I don't think the 55-210 needs correction too...

I know. I guess I'm trying to find an excuse not to buy the lens, lol :p

On a serious note, as I said before (as an exclusively legacy lens user) the 18-105 is probably the only current (from the affordable line-up :D ) E-mount lens I want to buy - and if I'm spending 500euro for a lens I just want to make sure my choice will be correct ;)

16. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    So far its been exactly what I wanted it to be.

17. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't have the 18-55, but I would bet money it has distortion without profile correction. It may not be as bad because it is only covering a short focal range and is fairly large considering that fact. I do have the 16-50 and I can tell you the distortion is ridiculous without correction. So is the SEL16mm.

My import settings always apply profile correction and I don't want to mess with anything so I just snapped some shots in my office using the 55-210 and uploaded them. There are 6 pics (terrible; since high iso raw no PP just ignore that), 1,3, 5 are originals 2, 4, 6 have lens profile. You will see they are corrected for distortion.

Keep in mind the 55-210 is a only a tele zoom, it has no wide angle coverage, it only has 4x magnification, it extends to zoom, and the aperture is not constant. The 18-105 is about 6X, has constant aperture and does not extend when zooming. All those factors make it more susceptible to distortion.

http://stillfiguringitout.smugmug.com/Test-Shots/55210/i-jFNp2bT

That said, I totally agree with you about making sure your happy with a $600 investment. It may not be up to your standards and that's what matters when it's your money. No lens is perfect, I just wanted to let you know there are easy ways to fix certain issues. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1