B+W Portrait from my WIP basement "studio"

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by shaolin95, Oct 14, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    21534795363_a34d0602ed_o.
    Working on improving my portrait and lighting setup in my basement with my wife as model. So much to learn but having fun. :)
    This was with the Canon FD 300mm F2.8 and A7ii. Sorry for the black border...it came from the Nik plugin and forgot to remove it :D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Thanks for the post and the picture. Studio lighting is an area that I've neglected. Can I suggest that you keep us up to date on your experiences and lessons learned. I think it could be a very valuable thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Like it, but it does seem a bit washed out.

4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I actually went for that type of look trying to mimic other looks I have seen trying to figure out my own style eventually. Still it will also depend on the monitor. On my main calibrated monitor it looks good with nice shades of greys while on some other like my work monitor does look a bit washed out and pale. :/
    Here you can see the color version. :)

Thanks amigo! I will do so. Currently I am watching Peter Hurley video about posing which I think its crucial for me to learn.

• Like Like x 3
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Looks good! I like the B&W results. Surprised that a 300mm f/2.8 could produce a portrait of such results. I recall the focal length test you did previously.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    TOTALLY AGREE!!!
    Studio lighting is something I've been slowly researching myself too lately and an area I'm very interested in so any tips would be great :)

Love the photo btw, personally I don't find it washed out at all ! Seems perfectly lighted to me ;)

Care to elaborate on the lighting gear used? On- camera or off-camer flash, softbox maybe, reflectors etc?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh yeah that test indeed.The 300mm is a beast and merciless when it comes to detail so that was host at 2.8 which has a thin DOF so kind of softens naturally in a way but still I had to soften some areas because like I said..it has no mercy on your skin :D
    Thanks!
    I am adding some images of how the project looks right now. I finally decided on a background stand and fabric so I should be getting it next week then I will flip things around when shooting to fit the stand better.
    You can see where my Tripod is located and then in front a white sheet against the back wall badly stapled there LOL. To the left is the 43" softbox I prefer because the flash shoots into it then it reflects back. The flash is a Yongnuo 560 III with built in receiver. My A7ii has the Yongnuo 560 TX transmitter that allows me to control power and zoom settings for the flashes. As you can see from one of the photos, the flash is being held by rubber bands to the original stand parts that came with the cheapo stand and light kit LOL

The lower softbox on the right side I dont like much but its not use with that much power so I can deal with it for now. This is as well a Yongnuo 560 III.
    Then on the back corner you can see the rimlight with a home made scoop to point directly to the back of the head. That one is a Neewer TT560 on a Yongnuo RF603 receiver so I can only control the triggering part from my camera for that one.
    I will remove the light above the subject when shooting and only keep one light in the room to minimize contamination but not make things too dark and spooky. lol

PS the green things are just for safety but I normally remove them when shooting although I dont think it will matter much and better to keep eyes away from those poking rods!

S3. S2. S2. S1.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Man the working distance of that 300mm is kind of insane! Depending on your flash power you shouldn't have to worry about the ambient light in the room. Take a picture with your exposure settings and not flashes firing. If the image is black you're good. If there's light showing up in the image stop down the aperture or lower your ISO until it disappears. Then increase the power from your flashes by the same number of stops but keeping the ratios constant. Adequate ambient to focus and keep your model comfortable is important.

I like the B/W. Fun expression and your wife is lovely. I personally find it distracting to have the far eye in focus unless there's a very good reason to do so.

I'm jealous you have a dedicated space. I have to break my studio down completely between sessions. Keep up the good work and looking forward to the updates!

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Very nice but I like the color version the best.

• Like Like x 1
  10. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    My likes that one better as well. :)

11. marcin wuu

marcin wuu TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 6, 2015
    It's bad. I would suggest ditching this 300mm in favour of something more in the usual portrait range. Also, if you're new at this, try some normal poses. Starting your learning process with unusual hardware and weird neckbreaking pose will do you no good. As for the style, it comes in time. You can't force it.

• Informative Informative x 1