B&H Photo Return Complaint

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Xterra, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Not sure if its the right subsection for this but I had recently bought a Polarizer Filter Kaessermann Pro from B&H, wasn't too happy and used their Return RMA. Received the RMA Number, and returned it. Shipped myself with USPS.
    The Return was received by B&H Monday Oct. 23rd (USPS shows this) but B&H still will not recognize the receipt of the return.
    USPS: Your item has been delivered to the mail room at 4:07 pm on October 23, 2017 in BROOKLYN, NY 11205.
    USPS.com® - USPS Tracking® Results

Any of you guys ever ran into problems with B&H Returns? I'm not a happy camper anymore with them. I chatted with them and was told to "just wait" until they process the return.
    Thinking of filing a credit card dispute at this point? Thanks if anyone can chime in if they may have had problems how to proceed.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  2. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I obviously don't know anything about your situation and don't know what you mean that they haven't "recognized" the return, but B&H is a reputable place. Not sure if you have ever been to the store in NY, but the place is huge and has various buildings. They do an unbelievable amount of business both online and in store. It would not surprise me at all if it took a week or so after receipt of an item to process a return. I think it is too early to get concerned that the return hasn't gone through. Personally, I would be patient and give them at least another week. They also are closed from Friday night through Saturday night for religious observance, so nothing is likely to happen during the weekend. Hope that helps.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    thanks. from their website:
    • RMA Number:XXXXX 601
    • Date returned: Not Received--> this is what concerns me, even USPS shows it was received on Oct. 23
    • Return Status: RMA Sent

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Call them - they are very helpful. At least that's my experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I don't have a clue how their systems work, but I understand your concern. You would think it would take nothing more than a scan on receipt that would then immediately update the return information online, but still, if they didn't seem to think it was anything out of the ordinary when you spoke with them, maybe give them a few more days?

6. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    Probably just a hangup in their e-system.
    As Chris mentioned, give them another call or email.

They're customer care is top notch.
    Has been for the last ten years that I've been dealing with them.

7. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    Here is a reply I received to my inquiry. Not informative at all. I call them Monday and see, it should not take over a week to acknowledge receipt of my return.
    I bought from them many times, but never really had to return anything. Now that I used the return it seems a lot of hassle. I had better return experience with Amazon I have to say.

My email to them:
    Hello B&H Photo Team,
    I have sent back my Order #XXXX with RMA #XXXX601 via USPS: 9405
    5036 9930 0118 3283 47
    It was delivered back to you on Monday Oct. 23rd.
    Please advise when you refund my Order
    Thank you

B&H Response:
    "Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.
    Please be advised you will be issued an email confirmation once the return has been refunded.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Thank you, we appreciate your business.

Stefan K"

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    It may be due to it being a small item and got included with a binful of other small returns. They get hundreds of packages through their building a day. The important thing is that you have confirmation of delivery for any dispute later. I think your refund and online status will update the moment someone processes it. With some companies, it can be within minute or hours of shipment, to weeks. Mine was with Amazon that took weeks. I would give them another week. And yes, they don't operate Friday-Saturday.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    You are being too impatient. B&H is very reliable and extremely helpful. They have worked out some fairly complex return issues for me over the years. However, it sometimes takes a few days to work it out. In the unlikely case that they never recognize the receipt you will be able to work it out by providing your proof of delivery. Life isn't always instant.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    :2thumbs: you are right :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  11. GabrielPhoto

GabrielPhoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Never had a problem doing a Return with them. Usually they are very fast. Adorama takes much longer from my experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    Update: Still no return received by B&H Photo. Calling them is a dead end. I am now requested to file a claim with USPS. GREAT :crying:
    Problem is the USPS only insures packages up to $50.
    What a BS. I sent B&H another email:

Hello XXX,
    I still have no status on my Return! I will now file a claim with USPS, however it is sad that B&H photo claims it did not receive my return, yet USPS shows it was delivered. (wherever your Mail room is)
    As you stated the address for my return label was correct.

B&H RET BLDG 664 DR. A
    RETURN DEPARTMENT B&H PHOTO VIDEO BLDG
    63 FLUSHING AVE BLDG 664
    BROOKLYN NAVY YARD
    BROOKLYN NY 11205-1005

I request B&H refund my $62 if for nothing else as a curtsey or even in-store credit.

I have never had such hassle of a return and run after my money, no product, and no money.

Thank you for your cooperation.

• Sad Sad x 1
  13. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    Response from B&H (I don't think I shop with them anymore)
    Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

While you do have the correct address, we have thoroughly searched our entire Returns Department for your return and were unable to locate it. Being that you chose to use a different shipping method than what we offered, we have no insurance on your Return and are unable to file a claim.

USPS should be able to take care of you and hopefully offer a refund after the claim is processed. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Thank you, we appreciate your business.

• Sad Sad x 1
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don’t blame you for being pi**ed off, Xterra. I’ve never had a bad experience with them, and have bought a lot of camera gear from them. But something sure went south on your return. It’s impossible to say where the blame lies. Maybe someone in the mailroom just pocketed your return, or it fell into a crack. But you’re the one who loses. That sucks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I guess I am in the minority but I would say that B&H is my least favorite of the big time camera retailers. I've bought from them online and been to their store in NYC and while I think they're reputable and honest (there are plenty that aren't), "helpful" is not a word I would use to describe them. IMHO curt, rude, brusk and disinterested all seem more accurate.

That said, they're a big place and handle lots of returns. I can certainly see how something can get sidetracked in a situation like that. I would keep bugging them. They will do the right thing but it might take a while. It sucks to be on the return merry-go-round.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    I agree with that statement.
    Not even offering a in-store credit for the mess and merry-go-round is poor customer service.

17. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    They are probably still smarting about the $2.6 million dollar discrimination lawsuit they were convicted of in August...

• Wow Wow x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Sorry to hear about your issues - hope it gets worked out soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    • Wow Wow x 1