Avoiding flickering: timelapse app

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by izzikiorage, Aug 18, 2016.

1. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Hey guys

Planning to do a long landscape timelapse this weekend from dusk to night. The idea bring to capture the cloudy sky and the lights coming on.

Need help on what settings to use in the timelapse app to avoid the flickering effect due to changes in exposure. Can't leave it on fixed settings since the light will be changing a lot during the timelapse.

Or can this be fixed in post? Which I've heard is super hard.

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I have only used the app's more basic settings in "Custom" mode. So I have not played with this, but there is an option to use auto-exposure with some tracking options. I would guess this smooths the transition of exposure settings between images. The built-in sunrise/sunset appears to use the "low" AE tracking. Hence my guess.

If you have lighting gear you could create a scene and adjust the amount of light hitting it and see how the app reacts.

I suppose you could also use the option to save images and deal with it after the fact. You would also need software to assemble it into a movie. But it would be an option.

3. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Even with the low AE track it seems to shift exposure up and down a little fast leading to the flickr. Will give it a shot though.

No clue on what softwares to use for this

4. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Guys... Help

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sorry. I've never done a time lapse with anything but my iPhone. :confused-69:

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Sorry, no experience with long time lapse.