Avoid Eclipse fluid for cleaning sensors of Sony camera's

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by addieleman, Apr 10, 2016.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    For those who use Photographic Solutions' Eclipse solution for cleaning sensors, read this:
    Cleaning Digital Cameras - Photosol, Inc. -

I've used Eclipse E2 a couple of days ago and my A7 still works :). I just posed the question if Eclipse E2 is safe for the Sony A7.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Ad. I used it on my A7 awhile ago. Since then I had a few pro cleanings for cheap at local photography expos so I haven't touched it since. Did they say what the negative effects are?

• Like Like x 1
  3. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Here they give a little more detail: "We are recommending Aeroclipse for the Sony a7ii and a7rii. While Eclipse is safe with proper cleaning technique, it can remove the coating with prolonged cleaning and aggressive pressure. This is due to the pure concentration of methanol in Eclipse. Aeroclipse, to render it non-flammable, has considerably less methanol and is safe under all normal circumstances and proper technique."

I'm going to get me Aeroclipse for the next cleaning round though I have used the E2 fluid already a couple of times on the A7 without ill effects as far as I know.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    ... and got an answer:
    Yes. It may be prone to streaks as it has a high water content - the main reason we discontinued it.

5. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

This makes me wonder if there's anything else in Eclipse than CH3OH and some % of distilled H2O, at least I can't smell anything else in my bottle. I guess they add the water to slow down the evaporation rate somewhat. Anyway, this 'magic mix' must have been a gold mine for those folks in the last couple years :).

6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    On dpreview I saw that Photographic Solutions gave an update on the alleged issue of cleaning Sony camera sensors with Eclipse Fluid. Their present homepage shows a link to the notice.

A guy on dpreview made a claim in the same thread that he damaged his sensor by using Eclipse. As he had the sensor cover replaced, we'll never know a) if it was the fluid that damaged his sensor and b) if Photographic Solutions would have honored their No Damage Guarantee.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Interesting posts, thanks for that, I'm looking at cleaning fluids for my camera so I'll search for Aeroclipse.

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I used 99.99% anhydrous isopropyl alcohol to clean my sensor. No problems. So all this fuss was made because of one posting on DPR? I think way too much is made of isolated internet claims. Generally, they turn out to be user error. Lens coatings are pretty tough. Generally, only specific solvents will effect them. Alcohol and water aren't those solvents.

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Exactly. That's why I don't buy any commercial lens/sensor cleaning solutions. You can get the same chemicals yourself at a much lower cost.