1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Automatic file transfer to smartphones?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by jcdoss, May 30, 2014.

1. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I'm using a NEX-6 and Eye-Fi card now, and I've got the Eye-Fi card to automatically send jpg files to my smartphone while I'm hiking. Well, it does it all the time, but I set it up this way so I could go on a hike with both devices, shoot photos with the phone in my pocket, and browse them on my smartphone, and even share the ones that don't suck without having to mess with manually selecting and transferring files.

Can the A7 do this natively? I know the wifi apps are more powerful and faster than the NEX-6, but I'm not sure it's automatic, like my Eye-Fi is. Please advise!

2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I'm not sure the a7 has some new feature that would allow this. Other than view on smartphone via play memories. In which case I'd guess the performance to match what the nex6 does currently with the same app. That said ur eye-fi card will fit in the a7 and I'd imagine continue to work the way it has for you in the nex6.

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

3. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    Thanks for your reply. My 16G Eye-Fi is inexplicably crumbling. The plastic housing is separating and cracking, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a replacement if I ever get around to purchasing an a7. Oh well...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TalkEmount mobile app

4. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    The A6000 has a free app that automatically uploads all new pics to your phone or tablet when you turn the camera off each time.

5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Nice hadnt heard about that. Does it have a name?

Sent from my X909 using Tapatalk

6. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Is there something similar for the nex6 also?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

7. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I looked at this app on Playmemories and it seems it is only for A5000/6000 and A7/7R not the older NEX5 and 6 models.

• Like Like x 1
  8. yakky

yakky TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Good to know Sony is avoiding old models as usual. Just buy a new one, problem solved!

• Like Like x 1
  9. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    So it's called.....

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

10. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    Excellent! This is good for the A7 models too. I suppose by the time I unload my extra gear to make room for an A7, my Eye-Fi card will have finished decomposing. Glad to see I won't need it anymore. Thanks, guys!

11. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
  12. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks yakky... I had just convinced myself that I was going to stick with Sony and not move to Fuji. Thanks for the reminder! Back to the Drawing Board I go ...sigh...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk