Autofocus Shmautofocus

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by dixeyk, Oct 31, 2014.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    15477816450_6b8d7d7e05_b.
    Fourth Place in the Hurdles by dixeyk, on Flickr

15477521137_a8b52fd88e_b.
    Son, Tho Art Silly by dixeyk, on Flickr

Shot with my MC Rokkor 24/2.8...zone focus, anticipate and keep shooting. I can guarantee he wasn't keeping still between these. Sure I would have gotten more shots with AF but you make do with what you got.

• Like Like x 9
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    For non moving subjects, no issue at all.

Even with moving objects, sometimes the camera misses and you get out of focused shots or missed focused ones.

At least with MF you only have yourself to blame, and with practice, this becomes less and less.

3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    For sure. At Disney this week and brought my stash of manual lenses. Only brought my 55fe1.8 for auto and it only came out of the bag once. I missed focus 3 times and it went back in.

• Like Like x 3
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Even with moving subjects, it just takes some practice and good technique. It's actually not as hard as you'd expect. You have to anticipate where the action will be. It only seems difficult because the approach to shooting action with AF is quite a bit different than it is with MF.

• Like Like x 4
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agreed

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    No pork in that kid, huh? :p

Nice shots Kevin. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Great topic! Every photog should have at least one high quality manual / legacy glass in their bag and experiment. I feel manual focus gets me more in touch with my subject and allows me the time to, focus. Wonderful therapy. [emoji2] The funny thing is when I go back to my Auto focus lenses I almost feel like I'm cheating haha!

These were shot with my Canon fdn 50mm

61e34ff246c8fde426caee71c4f0f3a0.

ba65fe17801a2135df1b89a6d2b279d4.

bc3687c9443993bb5e23f31a51ca0483.

• Like Like x 7
  8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    All I use are legacy Canon FDn lenses (on NEX-7)...specifically would not buy the point & shoot auto gear for the reasons you mentioned.

Others mileage will vary of course

• Like Like x 1
  9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, the NEX-7's AF system isn't good anyway, so you're better off with MF. Although most of my lenses support AF, I shoot MF for 98% of my photos (self portraits are the exception - although AF fails here regularly too ...). Used to shoot concerts with AF, but since I got my Mitakon, these times are over.

The only thing I like using AF now is shooting (day) landscapes with my 12mm Touit. Nailing focus on infinity manually is much harder here since you don't get an infinity stop at the focus ring and even with magnification, it's somewhat hard to tell whether you nailed focus. AF saves some time here.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I myself lean towards manual focus as well when taking photos, just for myself.

However, at family gatherings, parties, etc, I'll use my AF lens for those quick, spur of the moment shots.

11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    • Like Like x 4
  12. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Agree totally. AF today is fantastic. But I can't deny that nailing a shot fully manual is more of a rush for me [emoji3]

• Like Like x 3
  14. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    How about some manual focusing action shots, indoor with poor lighting using a long lens...

DSC03102-XL.

DSC02819-XL.

DSC03120-XL.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    When I first got my Nex, I shot with MF lenses almost exclusively for about 6 months. Coming from the DSLR, the ability to do precise focusing with lenses that felt as fine pieces of optical equipment (mainly due to the heft ;) ) was a great experience.

Now, I got rid of almost all of my manual focus lenses. While I could get pretty decent shots even on the moving kids, the amount of work that went into it and the % of missed shots was just too much of a hassle. Almost all of my Minolta MD glass has an A-mount equivalent, and between E-mounts and A-mounts via LA-EA2 I am not really using any manual glass anymore. Even put my Kiron 28/2 on eBay although I may come to regret this later as I like it more than Sigma 30.

If I was shooting still things / landscapes / buildings / posing people, manual would be the way to go. But for active kids, too much hassle and too much work.

• Like Like x 2
  16. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I agree, what ever makes you happy.

As mentioned by me, I do a combo of AF and MF.

17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well done, nice work.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I second that. Pretty impressive MF shots [emoji2]

19. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I didn't expect this shot to turn out but it did (with CV 35/1.4 wide open):

• Like Like x 5