Auto Yashinon 5cm f/2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by f/otographer, Jan 16, 2014.

1. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Once again, hail to Yashica lenses. I found a nice clean copy of this attached to a Yashica J-3 at a thrift store for pennies. It is a tiny, tiny little lens from the heyday of M42 history. I mean it is really small, like rangefinder lens small. And solid. A pure pleasure to use.

A note to anyone who wants one or finds one. It is one of those M42 lenses that cant be used with a normal flange type M42 adapter. And by flange type I mean one that has the little flange inside to depress the pin that operates the aperture. You need to get the adapter that does NOT have this flange. You can use the flanged version but you wont get infinity focus since the lens wont screw all the way down because of the way the pen depresses.

So here are some of my first shots with this lens. Unfortunately I cant use the lens on my speedbooster now since my M42/CY adapter has the flange. My workaround was to use my M42/Minolta adapter (which has no flange) on my Minolta/NEX adapter and this works fine. But it doesnt give me the full 50mm goodness and I have to use it as a 75mm instead. Bummer.

On a side note, this lens made me discover a whole new photographic technique. I wanted to test its macro abilities so I went to pop on my trusty Minolta Close Up lens No.2 when I realized that the lens was to small for it (did I mention it was a very small lens?). The Minolta Close up works with a 49mm filter thread and the Yashica is a few sizes two small. So I simply handheld the close up lens (CUL) in front of the Yashinon and started shooting. My hand slipped a couple of times while framing up the shot and thats when I noticed the neatest effect.

If you tilt the CUL away from your regular lens far enough then the lens will pick up light coming thru the CUL and light that is just hitting the lens regularly. This means part of your image will be magnified and part will be at regular focusing distance. Both of these different focal lenghts of light will fall on the same part of the lens. If captured correctly this creates a neat 'multiple exposure' type image. I have a few examples below.

Its really kind of neat. I know people have been freelensing for a long time but I dont know that anyone has freelensed a CUL and gotten this effect. Anyway, I was pleased to discover it and will have to practice more with it. I have a few ideas I want to try out.

vanquish your fears (straight out of the camera)

I did it! Multiple exposure on digital with just one shot! (this is the effect I was talking about. The leaf is very close to the lens but the plant stems in the back are quite far away. You can see the bleed thru on the leaf and see things through it)

another multiple exposure effect

playing with the star (twisting the lens while bokeh light spots are prominent can give some interesting flare effects)

the swirly bokeh that many Yashica lenses exhibit

cemetery trees
    • Like Like x 10
  2. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Messing about with the multiple exposure effect again this morning. These cameras were about a foot or so apart. I really like what this can produce. This was also shot with the Yashinon and Minolta close up lens.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    very interesting pictures, thanks for a pleasure!
  4. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Thx Azon, glad you enjoyed them. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Very artistic photos - nice work ;)
  6. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks Nick :) Just trying to push the boundaries a little bit.