1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Auto ISO with preset A and S - possible ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amamba, May 5, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    On my Canon DSLR, I could put the camera in M mode, keep ISO in Auto, and set both the Av and Tv values. This way I had control over both the shutter speed and the depth of field, and the camera would adjust ISO to compensate for the metered exposure. Great for e.g. action shots.

I don't see a way to do it on the Nex F3, i.e. to be able to select shutter and aperture and letting camera to take care of the rest. In M mode I have to set all three values manually. Am I missing anything, or is this a limitation of the system ?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No, thats not possible. But for most sport applications, using shutter priouty wiht Auto ISO should work fine.

3. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    My approach to this may not be a viable option for you, but I frequently shoot the following way:

I put the camera in shutter-preferred mode and use a lens that does not "talk" to the NEX, so the NEX has no idea what the aperture is, and has no control over the aperture. Accordingly, the camera alters the ISO to obtain the correct exposure. This has worked very well for me using a NEX-6 as long as the correct exposure has fallen between ISO 100 and ISO 3200, and has allowed me to set both aperture and shutter speed.

I am doing this with older manual-focus lenses, but I see no reason why it would not work with any lens that does not communicate with the camera, as long as you can independently set the aperture and are willing to focus manually. (I assume that the NEX-3 will act like my NEX-6, but I do not know that as a fact.)

- Tom -