1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Auto Focus Lens Calibration Tool For the A7 and/or A7ii???

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by doublezd, Apr 23, 2016.

1. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular

Aug 21, 2015
    Wondering if anyone has experience using an autofocus lens calibration tool for the A7 and/or A7ii? Comments? Thank you.

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just came from another thread where the same subject was spoken about. You can check focussing of an E-mount camera but calibrating is only possible when using an LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 adapter, essentially converting the camera into a DSLR. I have used the Datacolor Spyder LensCal for this which works but if I want to check quickly I just put a newspaper or sheet music on the floor and photograph that under an angle of 45º. Don't know about the A7II but the A7 had better be set to Live View settings ON in order to have it focus with the working aperture, otherwise it focusses wide-open and then you're measuring focus shift, not autofocus errors.

Mind you, almost all lenses exhibit focus shift, meaning that the optimal focus for e.g. f/4 and f/8 is different. Jim Kasson has made some very interesting posts about this on his blog and dpreview, showing that focus shift is also relevant in modern high-grade lenses like the Zeiss Batis 85/1.8. I struggled a lot with my FE 24-70/4 on the A7 until I got it to work by setting the A7 to Live View settings ON and avoiding a small flexible spot area. I now have an A7R2 as well which simply focusses same lens with the shooting aperture, irrespective of any settings: Sony knows too!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Not required with a mirror less system AFIK

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Mea culpa. Ad had to set me straight on the focus calibration issue. But, it did save me spending on one of those LensCal-type tools or printing out a card stock paper DIY version. Thanks again Ad!

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount mobile app

• Like Like x 1