Aurora in Iceland.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Jonwood10, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Jonwood10

Jonwood10 TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 17, 2014
    ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1419896158.104164. ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1419896175.252862. ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1419896189.386022. ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1419896203.037703.

I first came to Iceland a year ago, my wife treated us both as a wedding present as we had both wanted to see the Aurora and this looked like a great place to see it, wasn't to be however and we left having had a fantastic time but no lights...

Fast forward 6 months and I had the flights booked to come back this year. We arrived yesterday, and the weather to our disappointment didn't look to be favourable. After the second night of our tour being cancelled we decided to call it a night and walk back to our apartment.

My wife asked if I could take a picture of the John Lennon peace tower which is you can see from Reykjavik harbour near where we are staying, so I did. When I looked at the picture, a faint green glow was visible, which suddenly exploded into a full show!

These were taken on my a6000 with the Samyang 12mm f2, then just tweaked using snapseed on the iPad and posted, I'll go back over the raw images when we get back home.

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 15
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very cool, great timing

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Beautiful!

4. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    terrific, unfortunately in the Sth'ern hemisphere our aurora are not so bright & we are not close enough to the pole -the 2/3rd ones are great

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Beautiful indeed !

6. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Very cool.
    I love Iceland, but it's been 15 years since I was there. Must go back!

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Always fascinating to see aurora pictures, I've still to see aurora in real life.

8. sdsyver

sdsyver Here to Learn and Enjoy!

Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    The Northern Lights are something I just take for granted that I am going to see every year. I work lots of night shifts so see them all winter. This year we started seeing them in September. I've seen them my entire life and I'm still awed by them. You really do need to make a point to see them addieleman, pictures no matter how well they are done don't do them justice. At times the entire sky is dancing in multicoloured ribbons and you don't know where to look. I hope in the New year you get a chance to see them.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Fascinating the things we take for granted.

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It's very rare to see Northern Lights here in The Netherlands and I'm not much of a traveller so I'll have to hope that I'll see it in person in my lifetime.

11. sdsyver

sdsyver Here to Learn and Enjoy!

Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    Well best of luck then and Happy New Year!

• Like Like x 1
  12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Northern Lights is quite common in Netherlands:
    (Adult Content, so beware) http://www.leafly.com/indica/northern-lights

Basically there is a possibility of seeing Northern Lights in Helsinki a couple of times per year but usually weather is lousy just then. Up in the northern Finland they are quite common and weather is better (more clear winter nights [or days without sun at the moment]) for seeing them. They are much more awesome in nature than in photographs.

13. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It looks like almost every foreigner knows more about what we Dutch have to offer than I :D.

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    We have a sales office in Netherlands. If there are enough sales there (that I doubt) I need to visit NL more often. MK Optics and Heineken beer tour are major attractions for me. Tulips I can mail order.

• Like Like x 1
  15. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    The Heineken tour is very good, did it on a stag do last year :)

16. Jonwood10

Jonwood10 TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks for all your comments.

We were lucky enough to go out one night on a coach trip and saw them again.

I have given them a Photoshop PP and uploaded a few more images. Overall I'm pretty happy as this was my first real experience 'in the field' trying to photograph the phenomenon.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great additions

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I absolutely am in love with northern lights. I haven't seen them since I was a kid living in northern Minnesota though. I will hopefully get to see them again some day. I don't do airplanes though, so it will have to be back in MN or "up north" ;)

19. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Just wow!!!