1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

August in Greece

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by HabsFan, Sep 13, 2016.

1. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I've been meaning to post some images of my recent family trip to Greece. Summer is almost over here so I figured I'd post some of the images I had already shared with family/friends. This was the first time bringing my young kids so it was a special trip to have them meet family. Did not get away for photographic excursions as much as I would have liked but priority #1 was keeping the littles entertained.

Most of my Trip was in Laconia in southern Greece. Pictures were taken on my aging NEX-5N with a mix of 16-50 kit, E35, and Samyang 12mm. Super compact kit and there were very few opportunities I could have used the longer reach but didn't really miss it.

1: View of Acropolis from Panathenaic Stadium
    DSC00769.

2: Kyparissi Pano
    DSC00866-Pano.

3: Ferry to Elafonisos
    DSC00891.

4: Agios Spyridon, Elafonisios from the Ferry
    DSC00902.

5: Simos Beach
    DSC00911.

6: Elafonisios
    DSC00942.

7: Elafonisos
    DSC00943.

8: Rainy day in the village
    DSC00974.

9: Told my wife in never rains here in the summer, we had 3 days that it rained in 2 weeks:) Got to use my 10 stop ND on this one. I used autoexposure here as it was raining on and off.
    DSC00995.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    10: Sunrise hike: Kyparissi from nearby ruins
    DSC01108.

11: Sunrise
    DSC01138.

12: Honda power
    DSC01013.

13: Kyparissi on the way out
    DSC01272.

14: Road safety in Greece
    DSC01282.

15: Myrtoo Sea
    DSC01293.

16: Leonidas
    DSC01317.

17: Pasalimani in Pireaus
    DSC01331.

• Like Like x 6
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great photos of very familiar places to me lol :D
    #4 and the last one are my favorites but let me tell you a big thank you because you really brought some very nice memories by posting that photo from "Simos Beach" - I remembered being there something like 15-20 years ago and I still refer to it as one of the best beaches I've ever been! I think we took a ferry there and then a small boat to the shore and 10 meters away from me (I was at the water by that time swimming to shore), dolphins were swimming by - that is a moment I will never forget!!!

Also #13 and #10 from the 2nd set but my favorite of all is #15 - just wow!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Such a lovely, postcard ready series

• Like Like x 1
  5. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Thanks for the kind words! I will agree with you that Simos beach is probably the nicest beach I have been to as well...even beats out the ones I went to in Hawaii. This was my second time there, last time was about 13 years ago. It is actually quite a bit busier now than what I remember. They have chair/umbrella rentals with drink service on the Simos side which was the quiet side from what I remembered. I was there just before the 15th of August this time so it's probably the busiest time of year. It's not as well kept of a secret anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Oh totally agree! When I was there 15-20 years ago it was a well kept secret beach (no sunbeds/umbrellas renting) and that's how I still remember it in my mind - bummer that its more crowded now :(

7. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Nice photos.

They also remind me that the foot (30cm) or so behind the lens is the secret to good photographs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Agreed. I tried to worry less about my gear this time. More than half the pictures were shot with the most hated lens in the mirrorless world, the Sony 16-50PZ. In some cases, I would have left my camera behind if I had a bigger lens.

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    These are wonderful. My favorites are #7, such a nice color contrast, and #9 and #10.