Attaching the Lens Turbo to Canon FD Lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by McRibwich, Oct 8, 2013.

1. McRibwich

McRibwich New to TalkEmount

Oct 8, 2013
    Hi,

I received my lens turbo and am having a few issues attaching lenses to it. I've followed these instructions:

1. The red spot of the Canon FD Lens should pair with the red spot of the focal reducer
    2. Rotate the FD Lens to the yellow spot.
    3. Push the Lens inside the focal reducer
    4. Rotate the Lens back to the red spot together between Lens and focal reducer
    5. A "Click" sound

But I can't get past step 5. The lens just won't rotate all the way back to the red spot. I'm 90% sure that the unit I have is defective and that the mating slot gaps aren't large enough to secure my lenses (I've tried 4). But I wanted to check with the community and see if there're any tips and tricks before going through the fun exercise of returning it to China.

Thanks,

2. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    I think you got you red and yellow spots mixed up? Align to yellow then push in and rotate to red?

Sorry I can't be more help the one I have is a newer model with an open close switch like the empty non boosting adapters

3. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Sorry that didn't read well, I meant start to push them together on yellow and while pushing rotate to red. Don't try to match to red at first as you will miss the aperture pin, you need to catch it and push it around while rotating to red dot. Check YouTube I believe I saw a video there on how to attach the turbo.

4. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I don't know how important it is (i've never seen a 'lens turbo'), but FD lenses are found in two quite different types;.....

1) ...is the first type with 'breech block locking ring'....you place the lens and turn ONLY the locking ring to secure.

and....

2)....the 'new' type lenses which do NOT have locking ring but only a button......here you turn the COMPLETE LENS to secure (use the button to release)

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I have two fd breach mount that will not work with the fd turbo, one will. The new style fd will also.

The new turbo with open close will work for sure on breach mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. McRibwich

Oct 8, 2013
    Hi All,

Thanks for the replies and the help. I've tried one breach mount and 3 nFD style lenses with no success. I also followed the procedure I found in this video (visuals only, the audio is in german I think): [video=youtube;z-Rzd3WDtcM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Rzd3WDtcM[/video]

With regard to the instructions, for step one the red spots should be paired to locate one/two of what I'll call flanges (the three symmetric mating features that are located on the bottom of the FD lens) with features on the focal reducer, and then rotated to the yellow spot. I've been careful to ensure the aperture pin is caught by the small pin on the adapter. Could be that the aperture pin can't fully rotate because another pin isn't being depressed...I'll have another look tonight.

Thanks,

7. McRibwich

Oct 8, 2013
    Well then, it appears the adapter works just fine with 2 of my lenses (Canon nfd 50 1.4, 100 2.8), but not with the lens I was trying out most of the time (Canon nfd 28 2.8). Whoops! Still not sure why it won't mount to the 28 f2.8 but I'm aiming to use it mainly with the 50 f1.4 for super low light purposes anyway.

8. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Actually most of the eBay listings say that that adapter will not work with the 28/2.8.

9. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Well at least they did when I bought mine when it was first released.

10. McRibwich

Oct 8, 2013
    ah - I hadn't read or heard mention of the 28f2.8 issue before, though now I'm reading that with some lenses the aperture lever is too long and bottoms out.

11. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I use my turbo with my fd 1.4. It works really well with this lens. Almost as good on my 1.2 but not as sharp on that lens for some reason.

I have a 85 1.8 but it won't work well with that either.

I have a 135 2.5 incoming so I'll see how that is.